1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Chicken coop for loft? Aviary design?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Carpe DiHen, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Hello Pigeon Lovers!

I am planning on building a loft and getting a couple homing pigeons next year. I am picking out a site and looking for loft ideas. I just want a few birds for fun, and may only keep a few if/when they breed. Most of the loft plans are for a large flock of birds.

Would a chicken coop like the one on this web site work for 2-6 birds? What would be wrong for pigeons in the design?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=66725-wichita-cabin-coop

I want an idea for a small, artistic design, but made just right for pigeons. More of a small aviary design. Can you help with ideas and details of needs?

Looking forward to some help!

2. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chirping

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    I use a coop similar to this to house my doves. I keep a flock of eight in there.

3. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    That should work fine it could hold at least 2 pairs make sure you have 1 or 2 nest per pair with the long single perch some pigeons might be over teritorial knocking others off. It wold be a good idea to put an angled piece of wood over the watterer and feeder.

4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Songster

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    That would make a very cute loft!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by