Chicken Coop / Sheds For Canadian Winter

Pics
The sheds have been up for a few years now and never had any issues with snow harming the roof. They are placed under tree's if that makes a difference.
I would inspect the seams and make sure there’s no separation. Mine was under a tree as well and I only kept lawn tools on there. If you are confident it will hold up under a heavy wet snow you still need to ventilate well. Then ask yourself if you would be in there with 3 feet of snow and ice on the roof.

I'm just having a hard time visualizing how having the front open will not produce drafts. But everyone is telling me that it won't and I do believe them. Just looking to understand. As I don't want the chickens to be cold or anything and don't want any drafts.
I think you should do more research before committing to chickens. Perhaps work on developing basic building skills. I’ve always been a hands on do it yourself type person so it’s harder for me to ask someone else to build it for me. Check out the plethora of information on coop building on this website and you will figure out how to modify what you have on hand. You can do this you need to believe you can. And btw. 7th grade was 55 years ago for me. :)

Well I'm currently working out a deal with a hatchery on doing a research project for them. Keeping track of weights, gains, feed intake etc etc etc of heritage breeds. I would start with Barred Rocks or Rhode Island Reds. So the more birds the better. As with more birds the numbers will be more accurate. Or at least more fair and balanced. As in any study.
How many birds do they want you to study?
Is the research project for a class or....??

How many birds do they want you to study?
Is the research project for a class or....??

It would be freelance. More to add on to my resume and get me more experience with research. They want me to do 100 but I can't take 100. If I would slaughter before the winter I could do 100 but I don't have the heart to do that. I'm trying to work out a deal with them. So the more birds the better.

So you already do poultry research?
Yeah, you're gonna need a bigger building.

Well this would be my first real project. I've done other projects but they were more gathering already gathered data. This would be my first time actually conducting a study myself. I'm looking to get into the research sector or animal study sector in some capacity as a career and this would give me experience. Problem still comes down to the buildings and either spending the money on a new one or modifying the ones I have to make things work. Wish I had family who would be willing to help out build but I don't. I don't have all that much money currently so that is what it comes down to I guess.

I think there are two suggestions on the table that are getting jumbled.

@Wee Farmer Sarah said "Build an exterior frame to hold a new sturdier existing roof that is more sloped and overhangs the original vents" in post #10 and then referenced it "Had I not sold that house and left the Rubbermaid shed, I would have put a sturdy wooden roof over it." in post #24, "That's why I recommend a wood roof supported by sturdy wood posts." in post #55, "You can easily build an outer frame with a sturdy sloped roof (think of a table design) that will protect the coop from the harsh winter weather." in post 56, "Now to the roof, put a sturdy steep slopes roof over the plastic roof. You don’t need to insulate but you do need to ventilate." in post 59.

The extension idea came form @Cryss in post 29 "Together that could work really well! Maybe side by side, lift the facing roof panels to form one roof, and fill in the space by covering with hardware cloth for ventilation of both coops." and augmented by @Alaskan "The only thought that comes to mind.. build a porch onto the coop. Make the porch have a roof, two side walls, and have the front of the porch all strong hardware cloth. Keep the plastic coop fully open to the porch at all times, make sure the porch is securely attached and predator proof." in post 35, @Countrymanfowl "That porch idea is interesting though. " in post 36, @Cryss "About the 2 coops...could you connect them and partition one in half, use half for chickens, the other half for storage?" in post #41, @Alaskan echoing you "As to insulation. .. I think the porch idea is your best bet .... you would be pretty much turning it into a Wood's coop.".

Etc.

These are two separate ideas and they are mingling.

@Wee Farmer Sarah I like the latest turn in your contributions to this thread.

Last edited:

@Wee Farmer Sarah said "Build an exterior frame to hold a new sturdier existing roof that is more sloped and overhangs the original vents" in post #10 and then referenced it "Had I not sold that house and left the Rubbermaid shed, I would have put a sturdy wooden roof over it." in post #24, "That's why I recommend a wood roof supported by sturdy wood posts." in post #55, "You can easily build an outer frame with a sturdy sloped roof (think of a table design) that will protect the coop from the harsh winter weather." in post 56, "Now to the roof, put a sturdy steep slopes roof over the plastic roof. You don’t need to insulate but you do need to ventilate." in post 59.

The extension idea came form @Cyrss in post 29 "Together that could work really well! Maybe side by side, lift the facing roof panels to form one roof, and fill in the space by covering with hardware cloth for ventilation of both coops." and augmented by @Alaskan "The only thought that comes to mind.. build a porch onto the coop. Make the porch have a roof, two side walls, and have the front of the porch all strong hardware cloth. Keep the plastic coop fully open to the porch at all times, make sure the porch is securely attached and predator proof." in post 35, @Countrymanfowl "That porch idea is interesting though. " in post 36, @Cyrss "About the 2 coops...could you connect them and partition one in half, use half for chickens, the other half for storage?" in post #41, @Alaskan echoing you "As to insulation. .. I think the porch idea is your best bet .... you would be pretty much turning it into a Wood's coop.".

Etc.

Now we have more information. However if he’s in this for animal research I wholeheartedly suggest he get more experience working with established research facilities and leave the poor chickens out. The first rule of research is to do no harm. I have worked in medical and social research in the past and it’s not something you just break into.

Now we have more information. However if he’s in this for animal research I wholeheartedly suggest he get more experience working with established research facilities and leave the poor chickens out. The first rule of research is to do no harm. I have worked in medical and social research in the past and it’s not something you just break into.

I'm not in it for the research at all. It's more of an excuse to get chickens as I have been meaning to get back into them. Which is why I came here to ask for advice. I would be taking their weights and gains as well as feed intake in.

After this project is done I would be keeping them as pets so they live long and happy lives. I've kept chickens since I was a child. I know how to take care of them. But when it comes to buildings I have only ever used existing structures. When I moved and built these sheds I tried my best to convert them to house chickens but learned they are not suited unless modified in some way. I may take and put on the guise that I don't know much in terms of chickens but I do. I do come from a farming background.

The sheds as they are, are not meant to house chickens and are not in any position to do so without either building a modification or simply having a new coop built altogether as I have said. I'm not sure why you would think I want to or would be doing harm to them through this research. I've never expressed any indication of doing that as far as I am aware. Their care is at the forefront of my priorities.

Again, my primary motivator is to have chickens and take care of them. This project was offered to me and I am considering it. It's meant to be something relatively simple and easy to do that the hatchery can use to better market their birds. I consider this a great way to get back into chickens, add some beef to my resume and have fun.

The extension idea came form @Cyrss in post 29 "Together that could work really well! Maybe side by side, lift the facing roof panels to form one roof, and fill in the space by covering with hardware cloth for ventilation of both coops." and augmented by @Alaskan "The only thought that comes to mind.. build a porch onto the coop. Make the porch have a roof, two side walls, and have the front of the porch all strong hardware cloth. Keep the plastic coop fully open to the porch at all times, make sure the porch is securely attached and predator proof." in post 35, @Countrymanfowl "That porch idea is interesting though. " in post 36, @Cyrss "About the 2 coops...could you connect them and partition one in half, use half for chickens, the other half for storage?" in post #41, @Alaskan echoing you "As to insulation. .. I think the porch idea is your best bet .... you would be pretty much turning it into a Wood's coop.".

Etc.

Thanks so much for this Ted. I was thinking of the ideas as a whole.

So to summarize, @Wee Farmer Sarah is suggesting just a frame over the existing shed with NO extension built onto it to convert it into a Woods style coop. More so to protect the shed itself from the winter snow and to prevent a roof collapse.

Whereas @Alaskan suggested me build a modification onto the existing shed to basically extend it and allow for an open front design to be built that would simulate a Woods Style Coop.

Do I have it right? Or am I still mixing these two up?

Back
Top Bottom