Chicken Coop / Sheds For Canadian Winter

Of course it is possible to make the new roof and pole shed longer than the 10' by 12' pre-fab and then build the "porch" under the extension there by moving down the line towards a real Woods.

Let's say I went through all of this and built all the required modifications necessary to simulate a Woods coop. Wouldn't all of the work and materials end up costing a good amount? So much so that it would make more sense to just build a separate woods coop?

Let's say I went through all of this and built all the required modifications necessary to simulate a Woods coop. Wouldn't all of the work and materials end up costing a good amount? So much so that it would make more sense to just build a separate woods coop?

Certainly moving in that direction so need both quantified.

But:
  • It has been already said that plastic is easy therefore cleaner.
  • Do not have to build the square 10' by 10'; only the lower what's left (more than half not built!)
  • Ventilation mods needed for pref-fab

Wouldn't all of the work and materials end up costing a good amount? So much so that it would make more sense to just build a separate woods coop?
Yes, I said that 4-5 pages ago.
This discussion is going round and round and round to no effect...
...as comparing something to a Woods always does.

Yes they would be free ranging inside the yard yes. The fences are taller than me so the birds would have a hard time flying over it. Never had problems with them doing so.

So I would need to cover the bottom with chicken wire or hardware cloth and create an apron on the other side. Then put up a net somehow over the fences. Hmmmm
OOPS! I wasn't clear...I meant covering the top, not the floor. And walls of course. And then an apron on the ground outside.

Just sayin', 8sqft X 50birds = 400sqft is one big mamajama coop! But it would be lovely for the chickens. Remember, 4sqft/bird is only the very minimum, and that works out to 200sqft. More is aways better. You never know when you might be forced to keep your birds inside for a day or two...or three...or....

It sounds like you're saying you'd like to free range your chickens within the confines if your yard which is great if you can. If its 4ft tall they will probably fly over and visit neighbors. Neighbors of all sorts will probably jump/fly over for a visit and a meal. Having a covered run allows you to let your birds outside without you being present to watch for predators. Handy when you get the flu or need to be out of town overnight.
You mentioned that predators don't come near the house. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. They are visiting at night. And with chickens I guarantee they will visit. Plus "friendly" predators will be around even in daytime. The neighbors dog, even the cat, they all love chicken.

I strongly recommend a Woods Open Air Coop. We had temps that dipped into in the -30F range and besides a small amount of frostbite on the larger combed birds, my hens did great. The Woods Coop includes a scratch shed at the front which is helpful when it is just too cold to be outside.

Here are links to the Woods Coops that inspired mine and my own write up:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-style-house-in-the-winter.445004/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-colony-house-portable.1104954/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ckens.com/threads/my-6x10-woods-coop.1305803/

I currently have a plastic DIY shed that is 10' by 12'. When we tried to insulate it we didn't do that good of a job but tired our best. What we did was get those pink insulation panels, cut them appropriately and then wrapped them in a tarp. On the walls it works fine, but at the roof it won't hold and keeps falling down.

I'm looking for ideas on both how to fix the coop I have and am looking for ideas on what else I could use as a coop to hold 50 chickens max. I can't afford $5,000+ for a prebuilt shed or coop and am not all that handy when it comes to building. Any ideas?

We made it ourselves, it really saved us tons of $$$.
What I did was get photos and photos of many coops.. inside and out to show all wood used so we had a knowledge of how to build it.
Well, it worked out awesome by doing that cause my coop is 8’Dx16’L. It’s so big. I can send you pictures of it now, it’s not done but it will give you an idea plus, I’ll let you know what and how many of the wood we bought.
It cost around 1500.00 and that includes a metal roof and a chip saw.. lol
Let me know...
my email is
[email protected]
Send me a email

Back
Top Bottom