Chicken coop smells like cedar.

I agree with you both :) I seriously lost my mind trying to find an adaquate pre-fab because I am all kinds of NOT handy, AND because these manufactures cannot math very well when it comes to how many chickens they tell you you can cram into a coop. So I'm going to have to suck it up and get handy really quick. I'm already reading up on coop design and will use the prefab to hold us over until I get it built and hang onto it for quarentine if I ever need it. I live near a lot of Amish families too. I've been thinking about introducing myself and seeing if any of them will help me build something since I lack skills... and tools :)

I agree with you both :) I seriously lost my mind trying to find an adaquate pre-fab because I am all kinds of NOT handy, AND because these manufactures cannot math very well when it comes to how many chickens they tell you you can cram into a coop. So I'm going to have to suck it up and get handy really quick. I'm already reading up on coop design and will use the prefab to hold us over until I get it built and hang onto it for quarentine if I ever need it. I live near a lot of Amish families too. I've been thinking about introducing myself and seeing if any of them will help me build something since I lack skills... and tools :)

Good luck. I think there was a recent coop post about an Amish built Woods style coop. Might be the same one, but a poster also noted that they wanted to build a coop and materials(at retail) would cost so much. They looked around and got a bid from someone else to build it at a higher cost, but not much higher than their retail cost, so it worked out for them.

I’m in Oh and we have Amish here too. A country store in my area has Amish built shedstyle coops on skids. They look very sturdy and well made. The cost for the largest one was $1600. Of course the country store is a middleman and 2 people desire profit (builder and seller). We thought this was expensive, but retail materials add up, so its paying someone for their time to build and paint the thing is part of that price. We did not buy that coop, but it was certainly a well build (and ready to move to the location) option.

Back
Top Bottom