Chicken Day Hospital...

neuchicontheblock

Songster
10 Years
May 23, 2009
Is it a bad thing to bring in a chicken that has minor injuries for a day to rest?

Example...I have a little frizzle cross hen, named Phyllis (Diller) who had some little boo-boo's on her feet and was limping. She is inside after having her feet washed off and sprayed with Neosporin. Phyllis is in a laundry basket with towels over her to keep her in place and warm. (She's a bantam). She was asleep in my arms even after I clipped her nails.

Is this bad? Will she be picked on after going back out later today? Just want to give her a rest and maybe avoid a bigger problem.
love.gif

Put her back in the coop at night when they are all sleeping. I do not understand how chicken brains work, but they won't notice that anything was ever different.
I have had hens in rehab for weeks, and everything was fine when we reintroduced them to the flock.

I kept a chicken in the house for three weeks after she was attakcked by a dog. The first time I tried to reintroduce her to the flock everything was fine when they were free ranging but as soon as they went into the coop she started getting pecked at. I took her away and brought her back to the house until all of her wounds were healed.
I noticed that if a chicken has something different about it it will get pecked at. In this case the other chickens were pecking at the scabs.

Back
Top Bottom