Chicken discipline? šŸ˜‚

Expecting a chicken not to peck at things, including your legs, is like expecting humans not to ask questions or to express an opinion. Using the beak to explore things is how chickens gather information about their environment. It's also how they communicate with each other and with their humans.

When a chicken behaves in a manner in which the flock disapproves, another chicken, usually a higher ranking individual, will peck the back or head of the misfit. You may do the same when a chicken is pecking at your legs, using your finger. It will deliver the message that the behavior is not okay. Repeated messaging can cause a change in behavior if you're consistent. This especially works well with very young chickens.

Expecting a chicken not to peck at things, including your legs, is like expecting humans not to ask questions or to express an opinion. Using the beak to explore things is how chickens gather information about their environment. It's also how they communicate with each other and with their humans.

When a chicken behaves in a manner in which the flock disapproves, another chicken, usually a higher ranking individual, will peck the back or head of the misfit. You may do the same when a chicken is pecking at your legs, using your finger. It will deliver the message that the behavior is not okay. Repeated messaging can cause a change in behavior if you're consistent. This especially works well with very young chickens.
Oh I donā€™t expect them NOT to, I realize itā€™s their nature. I just know itā€™ll hurt when theyā€™re bigger. Thanks for the tip!
Mine peck my shoes a lot, it's their way of asking for attention
I gently push them away but they haven't got the message yet :p
Haha. I may be reinforcing it hmm šŸ¤” I laugh and then pet them. Iā€™ll start pushing away or slightly pecking back. Thanks.
Peck them back, pinch three fingers and peck them back hard,their faces, neck and back.
Thanks for the advice. Iā€™ll start doing that. I need to realize just because itā€™s cute right now, it may not be later.

Thanks for the advice. Iā€™ll start doing that. I need to realize just because itā€™s cute right now, it may not be later.
It's not cute later when they decide they like the taste of your flesh. I have a couple gouges in my knee from one of my hens this afternoon... she's being extra ornery because she doesn't like the addition of chicks, and I haven't been paying close attention to where she is relative to my tasty legs.

Back
Top Bottom