Chicken doesn't like being pet

Chicken059

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2021
There is a specific chicken in my flock that absolutely hates being touched and or carried. Whenever I try to touch him he just makes this noises and runs away. I dont understand what is provoking this because even though he does this he still takes food from my hand and is comfortable around me. Anyone got any tips for me?

There is a specific chicken in my flock that absolutely hates being touched and or carried. Whenever I try to touch him he just makes this noises and runs away. I dont understand what is provoking this because even though he does this he still takes food from my hand and is comfortable around me. Anyone got any tips for me?
He is a prey animal.
You are a predator.
It's instinctual behavior that is hard to fully overcome.
They realize you've never hurt them, bring food and treats but they are generally ALWAYS nervous about being restrained or pet by you.
When I want to "pet" a chicken, I'll stroke his/her chest. It's less threatening. They still tend to shy away from it so I don't pursue them. I want them comfortable and stress free. Forcing the issue can be stressful. But I always make an effort to move slowly, talk and touch softly to constantly reassure them I'm not going to hurt them. That makes treating them when necessary much easier.

Some dogs don't like being pet, either. If he doesn't want to be touched, don't touch him other than during necessary wellness checks.

most of mine are like that. I have two pullers who will jump on my lap, let me pet them and take a nap, but if I pick them up and put them on my lap they will jump right off and run away. Then a minute later they will come and jump on my lap again. It always has to be on their terms.

I'm pretty new to having chickens to observe but I have never seen them grooming each other. They will snatch food off each other; the one it was snatched from jumps away. And they will peck at each other sometimes; always something the pecked at chicken doesn't like and sometimes that goes as far as cannibalism.

Then there is how sensitive feathers can be, especially when they are growing in.

And the prey animal instincts.

It isn't surprising they don't like to be petted. It is surprising that any chickens like to be petted.

It isn't surprising they don't like to be petted. It is surprising that any chickens like to be petted.
I have 4 Barred Rocks and 4 Rhode Island Reds, 6 weeks old tomorrow.
My BR love to be petted. The RIR not. I have yet to touch them since moving them to the coop 8 days ago.
The BR come to the people door of my raised coop to greet me and pet them.
20210622_093400_resized.jpg

Where's the RIR? Behind the waterer and the opposite end of coop.
20210622_093404_resized.jpg

That doesn't bother me though, my previous flock of 7 BR 3 of them liked to be held. Time consuming when the other flock is waiting for your attention.
20210622_181330_resized.jpg

So some breeds are more friendly than others and but not all like to be petted or held. GC

I'm pretty new to having chickens to observe but I have never seen them grooming each other. They will snatch food off each other; the one it was snatched from jumps away. And they will peck at each other sometimes; always something the pecked at chicken doesn't like and sometimes that goes as far as cannibalism.
They do groom each other but it's sporadic, and each bird will have preferred grooming buddies.

Back
Top Bottom