Chicken Dog

lesliedow

Songster
10 Years
Aug 13, 2012
Rock Island County, Illinois
So, I'm a newbie chicken person but a long time dog owner. When I set up the brooder I wanted to be sure that my dog (an Australian Cattle dog mix) would see the chicks as her herd and not as prey. So I moved her bed next to the brooder and there she has been sleeping for the past 5 weeks. I guess I never imagined that she would take to the flock in this way...but....

I'm sorry...is that a chicken on my back? 8)

No, really....a CHICKEN?

...As the rest of the flock watches from the edges of the brooder....(AKA Rubbermaid bin)

Sigh...

I just was too amazed to see how the chickens and the cattle dog accepted each other! I can't wait to see how they get along in the yard!
8)

My dog and chickens wander the yard together. The only time my dog shows any real interest in them is when they go running across the yard, then his herding instinct kicks in. But he just runs in front of them and cuts them off, then walks away. Actually funny to watch.

I think I am well on the track to having a nice dog-chicken mix in my backyard, too! TurtlePowerTrav, looks like your dog is a border collie mix? I have caught Kyra nosing the chickns along when they hop out while I am changing the litter or feeding them. it's pretty funny she just bumps them in the butt and ignores then when they peck at her.

I can't wait to get them out in the back yard!
Leslie

I think I am well on the track to having a nice dog-chicken mix in my backyard, too! TurtlePowerTrav, looks like your dog is a border collie mix? I have caught Kyra nosing the chickns along when they hop out while I am changing the litter or feeding them. it's pretty funny she just bumps them in the butt and ignores then when they peck at her.

I can't wait to get them out in the back yard!
Leslie

He is a Tri-color Working Breed Australian Shepherd. He is a little on the large end of the working breed though, weighs about 75lbs. He had papers, but got lost in one of our moves. So I couldn't tell you what breeder he came from. We got him from a couple who couldn't care for him when he was 10mo old. He is now almost 13yrs.

here's what you'll be expecting in a few months...

He is a Tri-color Working Breed Australian Shepherd. He is a little on the large end of the working breed though, weighs about 75lbs. He had papers, but got lost in one of our moves. So I couldn't tell you what breeder he came from. We got him from a couple who couldn't care for him when he was 10mo old. He is now almost 13yrs.
Wow! That is one big chicken!

Back
Top Bottom