chicken duck fight - chicken not using leg and leaking

Pics

McChics

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2015
I was passing out peas to my ducks and chickens when my best laying White Rock (2.5 years old) raised up - puffed her feathers and went after a male duck that was coming at her aggressively. The duck is only about 8 weeks old. She was doing fine back and forth when she just dropped down and he climbed on her - I got over and broke them up.

She normally does not like me to hold her, but she dropped down and let me pick her up. She is not using her left leg - just barely trying to grip with it - but no strength.

Also, she is leaking a white/clear mix drip out of her vent. This is new. She is acting like she is in shock. I held her for a while. I put her in the coop (I only have three hens in there with room for 8) and moved her to a nesting box. She laid down and is breathing heavy. It is also hot out right now.

Dang it. Pulled muscle? Broken leg? That fast? Why is she leaking? I don't even know how she hurt herself. They were both on concrete when they were scuffling. I should have stopped it right away, but I have to let them also sort out their social issues since they share the same yard space.

You will have to examine her really well, is the leg swelling at all, or if there is clicking or instability in any joints?
She may just have pulled something and just need rest.
Honestly, although if the duck is only 8 WEEKS old, it almost sounds like the leaking may be because he mated her?
As a future note, you should not house a male duck with chickens.
If a male duck tries to mate a chicken it will often kill her, and ducks are VERY amerous creatures so he will likely mate a chicken when he gets older if left with them alone. (Just my experience, some people have mixed flocks successfully)

Thanks Wolfgirlmagic. She was 100% normal before this event. I was spending time with her and my dog (he thinks he is a chicken) and she seemed 100% before this scuffle.

I didn't realize we couldn't have them all together. This one duck is showing aggression to our new orphan duck that is about 6 weeks old and he bullies the chickens as they come and go. They usually just scoot out of his way. He hangs at the back of the pack of the other two ducks and rarely takes the lead on any activity. I was kind of proud of the old girl at first roaring up like that doing the chicken fight dance. I haven't seen her do that for a long time.

I know when dogs gets scared or hurt sometimes they release their anal sacs . That's what this drip made me think.

So, I felt the leg all the way up and didn't feel anything different from the other side. But she isn't using it and when I put her down she uses her wing to get stable and not put the foot down.

Thanks Wolfgirlmagic. She was 100% normal before this event. I was spending time with her and my dog (he thinks he is a chicken) and she seemed 100% before this scuffle.

I didn't realize we couldn't have them all together. This one duck is showing aggression to our new orphan duck that is about 6 weeks old and he bullies the chickens as they come and go. They usually just scoot out of his way. He hangs at the back of the pack of the other two ducks and rarely takes the lead on any activity. I was kind of proud of the old girl at first roaring up like that doing the chicken fight dance. I haven't seen her do that for a long time.

I know when dogs gets scared or hurt sometimes they release their anal sacs . That's what this drip made me think.

So, I felt the leg all the way up and didn't feel anything different from the other side. But she isn't using it and when I put her down she uses her wing to get stable and not put the foot down.
Yes, male ducks can be jerks.
I'm VERY surpesurp he is this aggressive at our 8 weeks old though! I would worry about that honestly...
Female ducks are fine with chickens, males can be the issue.
It sounds like probably a sprain. Isolation and "bed rest" is your best action.
I hope she gets better!

Yes, male ducks can be jerks.
I'm VERY surpesurp he is this aggressive at our 8 weeks old though! I would worry about that honestly...
Female ducks are fine with chickens, males can be the issue.
It sounds like probably a sprain. Isolation and "bed rest" is your best action.
I hope she gets better!
Typo correction * surprised

I'm just simply sick about this. Hopefully a sprain - yes. I also hate to isolate her because there will be all the pecking order fights when she gets back in the coop.

But, I have room to do it.

Her name is Sugar. I got her and two other hens from a farmer that told me she was a Leghorn. Nope! But we have been so happy with her. Super healthy and she makes the most amazing eggs.

Maybe you could keep her in a pen in the main coop.that way the reintigration won't be as stressful because the flock will still see her?

She made it through the night. She forced her way out of the nest and eventually flew down and got some water. Hopping on the right leg and now just flopped down on the ground by the pole barn. The other two hens are not messing with her. I locked the ducks in their own paddock so they won’t mess with her.

Not sure if I should scoop her up and put her in a tote where she can’t really move or let her work through this. I’ll
Keep and eye for a while where she is. At least I have Monday off so I can keep watching before I have to leave the house for work.

Back
Top Bottom