Chicken Eating Foam Retaining Wall Liner?

HollywoodHillsHens

Songster
9 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Unfortunately our grass and sod level dropped over the winter rains, exposing about an inch of pale blue foam on the inside of our retaining wall. I just discovered that our white cochin, Blanche, has been enjoying it and pecking away at (read: ingesting) the foam for about 10 feet!!

I tried to scare her off, to no end. She went right back.

She seems perfectly healthy, alert and happy otherwise.

We will put down new sod soon, which should bury the foam, but should I be worried about the toxicity of future eggs from her? She is ~20 weeks old and has not begun laying yet. I separated the chickens from that part of the yard once I discovered Blanche's bad behavior.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
hi hollywood hen! I do a lot of theater set design, way too much since it is a volunteer thing, but it is so fun. I am constantly building a 20 foot black pearl pirate ship, 3/4 scale Hogwarts Express, you get the idea. Can't keep the chickens away from the foam. Every now and again I will leave a 2 ft square piece out by accident and they eat the whole thing. Don't know what the fasination is. Other than totally destroying your foam, my chickens have been getting into the stuff for 2 years and I have never had one get sick. Although I can't imagine that it is good for them, or the garage door. Yep, they ate the bottom panel of our garage door. And I have never stopped eating their eggs. Not that this is a scientific reply, but I have never had any trouble, although I do try to limit their access.

When my chickens ate the silicon caulk from the cracks in their coop, I panicked. But it didn't seem to affect them in any way.

Since then, they've eaten caulk out of the cement slab by the back door, and have been picking off all the paraffin wax from my snow shovels all winter long. None of this has resulted in any harm that I've noticed.

They've never eaten styrofoam, but I hear that all chickens find it irresistible and it's harmless.

My girls go nuts over styrafoam. It's so nasty
sickbyc.gif
But it's never hurt them or us, eating the eggs. Just try to keep it away, but your girl will be fine. And her eggs will be delish!

Thanks guys!! I learn so much from everyone on this forum, and glad (?) to hear that the Styrofoam thing is not uncommon...nor harmful.

Now, if only the girls would start powering out some eggs....
smile.png
They're 22 weeks, so any day now, hopefully!

I've caught my chickens eating styrofoam packing peanuts. I've caught my ducks eating broken glass. And I caught my goose trying to eat a rusty nail, which I had to chase her down to get away from her. They all have lived to tell the tale. Birds will eat anything that looks interesting. I had to stop using salt on my walkways in the winter because the birds thought it was a new food for them (and that would have poisoned them).
Silly birds.

I would expect if they ate enough of it it could kill them. It's not meant for consumption!

Our hens can't stop eating the garage foundation. Chicken Nugget in perticular. The foam is covered by a coating, but if they see a blue spec they soom have a chicken head size crater. I keep patching with a can of spray foam which is yellow and not as tasty. I am not sure if it is color, texture or flavor but they sure love it!

Back
Top Bottom