Chicken Eating Foam Retaining Wall Liner?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HollywoodHillsHens, Feb 24, 2011.

1. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unfortunately our grass and sod level dropped over the winter rains, exposing about an inch of pale blue foam on the inside of our retaining wall. I just discovered that our white cochin, Blanche, has been enjoying it and pecking away at (read: ingesting) the foam for about 10 feet!!

I tried to scare her off, to no end. She went right back.

She seems perfectly healthy, alert and happy otherwise.

We will put down new sod soon, which should bury the foam, but should I be worried about the toxicity of future eggs from her? She is ~20 weeks old and has not begun laying yet. I separated the chickens from that part of the yard once I discovered Blanche's bad behavior.

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. bugsaroo

bugsaroo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Roseville, Illinois
    hi hollywood hen! I do a lot of theater set design, way too much since it is a volunteer thing, but it is so fun. I am constantly building a 20 foot black pearl pirate ship, 3/4 scale Hogwarts Express, you get the idea. Can't keep the chickens away from the foam. Every now and again I will leave a 2 ft square piece out by accident and they eat the whole thing. Don't know what the fasination is. Other than totally destroying your foam, my chickens have been getting into the stuff for 2 years and I have never had one get sick. Although I can't imagine that it is good for them, or the garage door. Yep, they ate the bottom panel of our garage door. And I have never stopped eating their eggs. Not that this is a scientific reply, but I have never had any trouble, although I do try to limit their access.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When my chickens ate the silicon caulk from the cracks in their coop, I panicked. But it didn't seem to affect them in any way.

Since then, they've eaten caulk out of the cement slab by the back door, and have been picking off all the paraffin wax from my snow shovels all winter long. None of this has resulted in any harm that I've noticed.

They've never eaten styrofoam, but I hear that all chickens find it irresistible and it's harmless.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My girls go nuts over styrafoam. It's so nasty [​IMG] But it's never hurt them or us, eating the eggs. Just try to keep it away, but your girl will be fine. And her eggs will be delish!

5. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    didn't any of you eat foam or other wierd stuff as kids, or am i the only one? never killed me...

6. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks guys!! I learn so much from everyone on this forum, and glad (?) to hear that the Styrofoam thing is not uncommon...nor harmful.

Now, if only the girls would start powering out some eggs.... [​IMG] They're 22 weeks, so any day now, hopefully!

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I've caught my chickens eating styrofoam packing peanuts. I've caught my ducks eating broken glass. And I caught my goose trying to eat a rusty nail, which I had to chase her down to get away from her. They all have lived to tell the tale. Birds will eat anything that looks interesting. I had to stop using salt on my walkways in the winter because the birds thought it was a new food for them (and that would have poisoned them).
    Silly birds.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I would expect if they ate enough of it it could kill them. It's not meant for consumption!

9. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    My girls ate it, too. And I freaked out and guess what? They were fine! These chickens are just to much and never stop fascinating me![​IMG]

10. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our hens can't stop eating the garage foundation. Chicken Nugget in perticular. The foam is covered by a coating, but if they see a blue spec they soom have a chicken head size crater. I keep patching with a can of spray foam which is yellow and not as tasty. I am not sure if it is color, texture or flavor but they sure love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by