Chicken eye stuck shut?

louiseschwieker

Songster
Jul 6, 2016
I have a hen who is about 3 years old, her eye is stuck shut and it would take a lot for me to get it open. Her other eye is fine. She's very weak but she is eating and drinking. She is also walking around and scratching. What could this be? I've been injecting 1/4 cc of tylan intramuscularly for 2 days. Today will be the 3rd. Is there anything else I should do? Thanks!
20181019_174342.jpg

It shouldn’t take that long to hold a warm wet compress on her eye while you hold her for about 10 minutes. Then take you thumb and forefinger, and gently open the eye. Rinse it with saline or water. Look for bubbles in the eye or pus. Try to get some Terramycin eye ointment into the eye. Plain neosporin works in a pinch, and use it twice a day.

I put the compress on her eye and got it open. It looked dark. I put saline drops in her eye abutlong with the opthalmoc gel. she still kept it closed. She hated me touching it and starting freaking out. The shot doesn't bother her at all.

Anyone have an idea of why it's crusty and closes to begin with? I was thinking respiratory so that's why I was giving her tylan 50

Anyone have an idea of why it's crusty and closes to begin with? I was thinking respiratory so that's why I was giving her tylan 50
The eye being crusty with drainage could be from respiratory illness or infection from injury/peck to the eye or even getting something stuck in there. It would be hard to know.

Injectable Tylan50 can be given up to 3 times a day and orally as well. If she is weak and the eye is not getting better, I would still finish the 5 day course of treatment.
You may want to weigh her and dose her at .20ml per pound 3 times a day to see if that makes a difference.

Okay so if the 5 day treatment I'm doing now doesn't work, I start doing what you said with the .20ml?
The eye being crusty with drainage could be from respiratory illness or infection from injury/peck to the eye or even getting something stuck in there. It would be hard to know.

Injectable Tylan50 can be given up to 3 times a day and orally as well. If she is weak and the eye is not getting better, I would still finish the 5 day course of treatment.
You may want to weigh her and dose her at .20ml per pound 3 times a day to see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom