Chicken feed through the roof!

I was paying a lot less, too. It seems like there was a big jump in December 2010 and then again about June.

I changed from Purina Layena ($15 / 50#) to their Home Grown brand ($12.75 / 50#). They are supposed to be the same nutritional content, but I'm not completely convinced that's true.

Scratch also has gone up.

When I first started, I was buying Dumor from Tractor Supply. It's a little less expensive, but I don't think it's as good a feed as the Purina.

I get mine from a feed store that mixes their own $21 per 100#s Scratch is cheap too $16 per 100#s (maybe less can't remember) and it is 12% protein. It is a trip to the feed store about 30 miles away but we get a truck load at a time so a trip every 3 months is not bad.

I also reduce the feed cost by supplementing some with spent brewing grains (barley) that is nearly 30% protein so I mix that and scratch and add some to the feed to extend it and up the protein some but not much. I get the grains for FREE so that always helps. He will not even take any eggs
hu.gif

Quote:
FYI Dumor TSCs brand is produced by Purina. My girlfriend works at TSC.

Yes, Dumor was made by Purina. But the chicken poop from the Dumor feed was a lot more aromatic and of a different consistency. Their poop has been a lot less annoying with Layena or Home Grown. (Laughing) I'm NOT a chicken poop expert but I have also seen other people comment about it, too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom