Chicken flew into wall HARD w/ pics of injury

thanks, I have done that mixing before to where it doesnt splater around so much.
I might have to wait for a bit till I try to feed her again, after the last cleaning of the gash after I put her back into the taxi she was flopping around...I wasnt sure if it's shock, or a sezier(sp) but when i went to her to try to comfort her she stopped when i spoke softly to her. I think she was trying to find a way out. After she calmed down a bit I put a light blanket over the taxi hoping she will relax. She is about 5 feet from me right now and seems to be doing ok. If I speak to her she will coo back to me softly. Is it ok to have the blanket on her taxi to keep her calm??

I am glad you have discontinued using the ointment with the pain medication... it can cause seizures and heart problems
Do you have any neosporin? You must keep it moist... if you have nothing else honey can also be used.

well, Scar has made it through the night. She has a huge chunk out of the top of her head, but it is starting to scab over and to my delight this morning I put in fresh food and water and she was eating and drinking. She finished almost all the food I offered her. It pains me to even look at her, her little face is so deformed now....but I am just happy she is doing so well. DH sat and pet her for a long while when he got home from work and she seemed to really like it. I am going to make her some scrambled eggs and see if she likes that.
Thanks everyone.

i would just keep it clean and debrided. The kennel is a good idea...keeps her safe.

i would get a proper animal antiseptic from your vet. Usually they will have a little squirty end to spray out the antiseptic and debride at the same time.

I used neosporin before, once its not so bloody

I also read in story's guide that the membrane in the chicken shell after you empty it of yolk and whites can be used as a bandage. just carefully peel out that membrane and place it over the wound. never tried it, but in a last ditch effort could be worth a shot.

we are letting her play outside with the girls, and stretch her legs and wings. I noticed her legs are pail in color to the other barred rocks we have...but she is eating and drinking and running around. She even piled with the rest of the flock when they took a nap. I think we are past the bad stuff. I still have her in the taxi at night and if I can watch the others with her. I noticed one try to bite at her head so I seperated them right away. This is a picture of how she looked yeaterday.

100_0014-12.jpg

100_0018-11.jpg

100_0017-12.jpg

most of the blood on her beak is from blood that has ran down her beak from the gash, I just dont want to pick off the dried blood...I dont want to hurt her any worse.

Back
Top Bottom