Chicken foot has gone limp, she can’t use it!

Puddingtheamericana

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2021
i have a chicken who likes to roost and hangout in the dirt alot. although i’m starting to think it was because she couldn’t move around very much. i noticed her behind the food dispenser one wing out and one leg out, laying there, alive though. i picked her up and place into the middle of the coop, just kinda laid there, didnt move. tried dropping her from a safe height to see if she’d fly and then continue walking, nothing. i put a water bowl and food in front of her since she can’t really walk to her food and water, she can only like use her good foot + wings and flutter a few feet to certain areas. i picked up her limp foot and she had no reaction. usally a chicken would pull away, pissed of that i dare touch their feet, but she didn’t care. it was limp and she couldn’t move her fingers, just like main leg part, and not even very well at that. we think she may have broken something, lost feeling, or got bitten by something. we’ve had a chicken in the past who had a limp leg at a very young age, and it just kinda shriveled up, but she grew up her whole life with that leg and she could get around perfectly well, our current chicken is not used to this.

does anyone have anyone idea what may have happened and what i can do to fix it. our vet isn’t seeing birds rn

It could be any number of things. Here are a few obvious ones: Marek's, petroleum distillate poisoning, and vitamin E deficiency and/or riboflavin (vitamin B-2) deficiency)

If you have an old oil and transmission leaking car where the chickens range they can consume contaminated gravel that will affect their nervous system. There's no cure for it once the nerves are damaged.

If this is a vitamin deficiency, these chickens could respond to B-complex that includes B-2 and vitamin E 400iu oil capsules.

If this is Marek's, there is no cure. It causes nerve damage and tumors.

Back
Top Bottom