Chicken found alive after 1-2 months of being trapped

Pics
Be careful to only use one product of electrolytes and vitamins. They can be overdosed. The Poultry Cell has riboflavin (B2,) which is helpful for legs in chickens. Dosage is 1 ml per every 3 pounds daily.

The chicken sling idea is good if she still does not get up on her own. These can be used with periods out of them to rest and sleep, and here is a good thread of 4 pages of the best ones:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

View attachment 2893095
Day 2: She’s still with us!!! Someone asked about her name. It’s Blondie :)
I bought all the electrolytes yesterday, lol (Save-a-chick, Poultry Cell, and Nutri Drench). I gave her .5 ml each of the poultry cell & Nutra drench with a syringe yesterday. She was able to hold up her head on her own starting yesterday morning but was still slumped on her side.
Today she keeps trying to get up, but isn’t able to. She is able to change her position around though, so she’s not on her side as much. It makes me so nervous when she flaps bc I’m scared she’ll hurt herself and/or expend too much energy. But it must be a good sign :fl She’s definitely fighting!
I’ve been continuing to offer her water and mash, and this morning she ate 1/4 of an egg white. She’s also wanting to peck, so I put some grit in there with her.
So far, so good, but I’m worried about refeeding syndrome. I’m trying to feed her slowly and mainly push electrolyte water.
I read somewhere on the internet that the most dangerous time is the first 4 days of feeding :confused:
I wish I could put the food and water in there with her, but she moves/flaps around trying to get up and would knock it over.
Overall, we’re cautiously hopeful!!!
But she’s so skinny though. I’ve told myself that if she doesn’t make it, at least she would know she’s cared for and wouldn’t die alone in the dark and cold.
We’re keeping her in our kids bathtub, the same one where she lived as chick this past spring ❤️ So I like to think she remembers being safe here.
If she does make it, I don’t know how long I’ll have to keep her in there. I guess until she jumps out, but that may be wishful thinking. We’ll just take it day by day!
I can’t thank you all enough for all the advice and support!! What a great community y’all ha e built here!!
One thing to consider. An animal that has been immobilized will have muscle wasting. I wonder if you could set up a sling so she can move her legs around without needing to bear her full weight. Might also stop her flapping. Maybe a couple of hours a day to get her used to being in a normal position.
Priority one is electrolytes and calories - but once you have that under control which it sounds like you do, you need to start a sort of physical therapy routine so her muscles don't all atrophy (which is part of refeeding syndrome I believe).

She might not be able to stand due to both malnutrition and dehydration but also muscle atrophy from laying down for so long. The stand sling that @Lenny loves chickens brought up is a good solution to getting her muscles back in working order. It looks like you're doing a good job with her so far though! Keep it up.
Yes that.

Back
Top Bottom