1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken friendly and safe plants and flowers in the flowerbed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chycknFun, Jan 12, 2014.

1. chycknFun

chycknFun Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Earth
    My chickens like to be front yard chickens when I let them out of their coop and run they love to dust bathe in the flower beds (really cute) and occasionally they find goodies to munch on there to, be it bugs, dandelions, chrysanthemums, sunflowers wild strawberries and raspberries I love seeing them having so much fun. I am about to orde flower seeds from my most favorite seed company BOTANICAL INTERESTS where I also buy my heirloom garden seeds keeping my chickens in mind are there certain plants I should avoid placing in my garden that could be harmful to my birds? Any that are beneficial?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    You don't want them to eat any bulb type plants or their bulbs. They are toxic to chickens. Generally a chicken will know when a plant is toxic to them and will avoid eating them unless they are really starving. But just in case, I removed all my bulbs in the gardens that I allow my chickens to range in. There are other plants they should avoid, but the bulbs were all I can think of right now. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. chycknFun

chycknFun Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks!

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I have some plants that are poisonous to chickens. The chickens are out there daily. I doubt that the chickens will eat anything bad for them, provided they have free choice of things to eat.

Chris

5. wermnmnmnm

wermnmnmnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    Severna Park, MD
    I have a whole side yard full of lily of the valley... I hope they won't want to munch on those. I have plenty of other things for them to munch on, believe me... but I put the tomatoes in the front yard this year because I would like to eat them and don't want my chickies to get to them first.

Last edited: May 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by