Chicken Friendly Outdoor Cats

Riverbend Farms

Songster
Apr 21, 2022
California
I want to get a cat to help with rodent control with my chickens. How should I acclimate it to my birds? I have 6 large fowl hens that it would have to be acclimated to. Would cats also be able to sleep in the coop/run? Any advice/tip and tricks please! Thanks!

We had two cats before we got chickens. They ignored them pretty much, and did not give any troubles until there was a hen with two-day-old chicks free-ranging and saw one of my cats "stalking" them. My border collie saw it too and laid down by the hen/chicks so the cat left. I believe that's like holding an ice cream cone in front of a two-year-old child and telling them they can't have it, so I don't blame the cats. We just have to watch them when there's young chicks in the yard.

A few months ago, we adopted a third cat, who had to be quarantined to the house for two weeks to ensure she would stick around. She chose to sleep on top of the brooder in the living room. She turned out to be the best one around chicks.

I think what helps is just like with dogs, letting our cats see us taking care of and handling the chicks/chickens lets them know they are off-limits to them. A couple of our hens will even chase the cats if one gets too close, so they tend to stay away from them.

Ours come sleep in the house at night, but you could leave them outside if you provided some shelter as although some folks have cats that sleep in the coop, yours may not want to, at least not at first.

Some friends have several Cats, 2 Dogs, along with Chickens, Ducks & Turkeys. If cats are raised from young kitten age with chickens & ducks already there, it's probably easier. They do have different personalities though, some cats avoid the flock while others will actually snuggle in a nest box with a hen. I'm considering getting 2 cats this spring as well, either kittens or adults already familiar with chickens.

Most times cats love to chase anything, a moth, beetle, mouse, chick...but there are some cats with amazing personalities. I would think they probably either grew up with chicks or just have a strong maternal instinct. I found some awesome stories when searching for info on introducing cats to my flock. Going after a rodent but leaving chicks alone is not typical, but also not impossible.

Most times cats love to chase anything, a moth, beetle, mouse, chick...but there are some cats with amazing personalities. I would think they probably either grew up with chicks or just have a strong maternal instinct. I found some awesome stories when searching for info on introducing cats to my flock. Going after a rodent but leaving chicks alone is not typical, but also not impossible.

Those two cats are amazing!

I’m about to move my hens closer to our house as well as bringing a cat or two for mousing. I’ll start the cats in our garage to establish home base.
Given the choice, would you establish the cats first or the hens first?
My hens aren’t really lap chickens… and the cats I’m getting from my friends farm are not exactly the PR representatives of their “litter”. But maybe after a week or two in the garage and some attention, the cats could become friendlier.
Any suggestions?

I think I'd do the hens because then maybe the cat can see that the chickens belong there and their territory hasn't been invaded. But I really have no clue :confused:. You could put the cat in a wire crate and let the chickens congregate around it - throw some scratch nearby and let them do a look-but-don't-touch visit.

Back
Top Bottom