Chicken Goddess

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Crow-ded house, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Crow-ded house

Crow-ded house Songster

May 2, 2016
    Bartlesville, OK
    I was out buying fixings for Thanksgiving and wanted a pumpkin for my chooks. No pumpkins in our stores in this county. Plan B-we bought some cantaloupe and a melon as they love those. On a whim I saw some cranberries. I thought it was worth a shot for a nice treat. I have never given those before. I rinsed them off, chopped them up and OMG they went nuts!!! Even the boys that run and cower in my presence was running up wanting more!! So now while the berries are in stock guess we need to buy more bags and freeze so they will have plenty over the coming months. Stoney the rabbit got a small handful too and she was standing in her begging position for more but they all had their treat special. They all had a good couple of days. Yesterday was leaf pile put in the run day, weather is perfect and now cranberries. Do not know how I am gonna top this weekend lol:wee

2. How about feeding them cake and cherries on a silver platter?

3. Crow-ded house

Crow-ded house Songster

May 2, 2016
    Bartlesville, OK
    LOl no way. I am not a good cook!!

4. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    I bet your girls are happy!

5. cinalee

cinalee Chirping

Jul 24, 2018
    Sicamous, BC
    I happen to have a plethora of pumpkins this year...but I bet the chicks would love some cranberries by the sounds of it. Yep, I do like to spoil them. Maybe they will give me an egg one day. I have 5 that are 21 weeks old.

6. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I’ll guess we will have to try as a treat. We always have too much relish at Thanksgiving from making whole bag of cranberries. Can’t get less than whole bag. Probably will pull some out for them to try before making relish.

Crow-ded house likes this.
  7. Crow-ded house

Crow-ded house Songster

May 2, 2016
    Bartlesville, OK
    Im gonna freeze some bags so this summer it should make a nice cold treat.

Aunt Angus likes this.
  8. I give mine all kinds of treats and share my lunch and dessert with those spoiled chooks!

Crow-ded house likes this.
  9. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

You can dry the cranberries too and they'll still be very good treats. Mine have only had dried ones and they love them. Our grocery store has craisins BOGO alot so I stock up. Probably looks insane to other people, just a shopping basket full of craisins nothing else.:hmm

10. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Never thought about cranberries. Put that on the list. I gave them live meal worms today and they liked those.

Their all time favorite is rib eye steak cut up in small pieces. Yes my chickens get steak...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: