Chicken got egg bound!! Can someone please help me understand?

4Dobermans

Songster
May 24, 2020
Prescott,Az
My Brahma got egg bound so we rushed her to the vet. She said she has sepsis and gave her medicine with pain. She was fine yesterday but the vet pulled a full egg and a crumbled egg out of her. She wasn’t like that when I put her to bed yesterday. She is walking around and drinking water right now along with pooping the white mucus like stuff that comes with their poop. How did she get egg bound with two eggs in less than 24 hours?

My Brahma got egg bound so we rushed her to the vet. She said she has sepsis and gave her medicine with pain. She was fine yesterday but the vet pulled a full egg and a crumbled egg out of her. She wasn’t like that when I put her to bed yesterday. She is walking around and drinking water right now along with pooping the white mucus like stuff that comes with their poop. How did she get egg bound with two eggs in less than 24 hours?

There's always the next yolk coming down the reproductive system. Think of it like a production line. Say the egg that got stuck was an F350 that somehow got onto the Fiesta line in tact and normal but wouldn't fit through the exit. All the stuff behind the stuck F350 kept going, but couldn't happen in the order and location, so it go wrecked. Hope that helps.

She's able to poop o.k.?
Since they had to cut her open, they instructed you to take care of the vent right?
It looks like the vent is injured from what I can see, I would keep it cleaned and apply vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment to the scabbing.

The yellow discharge is likely urates leaking, hopefully that will clear up but that can irritate the skin under the vent since she's bare. To help protect the skin I would use Hen Healer (it's BLUE so be aware of that) or you can use something like A+D ointment.

non of them have have water at night because she spills it everywhere but she does have water all day today and has been drinking a lot. She eats Purina layena crumbles with scratch sometimes. I think the cause was dehydration because she has been attacking the water. I give her water during the day so I don’t know why she was so dehydrated. Can animals like snakes catch sepsis from her? I have 6 dogs,2 cats, a boa constrictor, a ferret, and 5 more chickens and 3 ducks. Can they catch it from her?

sepsis is an infection in the blood and is non-transmissible. the only way they'll get sepsis is if they also get an infection that makes it to their blood stream.

I doubt if the other animals would catch anything from her. If she is pooping, she isn’t egg bound anymore. It happens sometime when chickens can have trouble laying eggs, and they may get egg bound with one egg while another is right behind. Make sure that she is taking layer feed and that she has access to crushed oyster shell. That will help her lay eggs with strong shells. Are you giving her antibiotics now?

It's more common than most folks think to have two eggs involved when a hen becomes egg bound. When it happened to hens of mine, three total if my memory is correct, I had never heard of such a thing, but to have all three hens have two eggs hung up must say something.

Why does it happen? I don't know. But something in a hen is suddenly "off" and she releases two yolks nearly simultaneously, but not so close as to become a double yolk single egg. Instead, they become two separate eggs coming down one immediately following the other.

This "bounty" presents a problem when they reach the shell gland where there most often is only enough calcium to make a shell for one egg, usually the first one. The second egg is a shell-less egg. Often, the first egg gets stuck, and the hen is then in trouble. I tell people to always assume there are two eggs involved and to continue treatment for egg binding even though an egg has been expelled. Failure to continue treatment can result in the second egg being stuck or worse, ruptured.

Depending on where the egg gets stuck, the hen can die in less than 24 hours from the blockage and subsequent poop backup.

The treatment consists of administering a calcium citrate supplement immediately when the crises is first identified, and continuing with one tablet per day until the crisis has passed and the hen is laying normal eggs, one egg per cycle. This is the calcium I recommend as it's easiest and quickest to absorb.
978A12E8-0B9F-4960-9278-10CAEE50EAE6.jpeg

I would agree to give some extra calcium for the next few days. Vent pecking can injure the vent for future egg laying, and can also introduce infection. I would give amoxicillin at 57 mg per pound twice a day for at least 7 days. Also use some probiotics during and after treatment .

To get enough calcium into her to do any good, you should give her two of those tablets per day.

This is entirely your decision. You don't have to do anything at all. She's your chicken.

Back
Top Bottom