Chicken got egg bound!! Can someone please help me understand?

4Dobermans

Songster
May 24, 2020
Prescott,Az
My Brahma got egg bound so we rushed her to the vet. She said she has sepsis and gave her medicine with pain. She was fine yesterday but the vet pulled a full egg and a crumbled egg out of her. She wasn’t like that when I put her to bed yesterday. She is walking around and drinking water right now along with pooping the white mucus like stuff that comes with their poop. How did she get egg bound with two eggs in less than 24 hours?

My Brahma got egg bound so we rushed her to the vet. She said she has sepsis and gave her medicine with pain. She was fine yesterday but the vet pulled a full egg and a crumbled egg out of her. She wasn’t like that when I put her to bed yesterday. She is walking around and drinking water right now along with pooping the white mucus like stuff that comes with their poop. How did she get egg bound with two eggs in less than 24 hours?

There's always the next yolk coming down the reproductive system. Think of it like a production line. Say the egg that got stuck was an F350 that somehow got onto the Fiesta line in tact and normal but wouldn't fit through the exit. All the stuff behind the stuck F350 kept going, but couldn't happen in the order and location, so it go wrecked. Hope that helps.

There's always the next yolk coming down the reproductive system. Think of it like a production line. Say the egg that got stuck was an F350 that somehow got onto the Fiesta line in tact and normal but wouldn't fit through the exit. All the stuff behind the stuck F350 kept going, but couldn't happen in the order and location, so it go wrecked. Hope that helps.
Will she be alright we caught it in a matter of no more than 16 hours. She is on a pretty strong medication that I am allergic to. She was lethargic but is moving around and drinking lots of water now. She isn’t talking yet but is doing pretty good I believe. Her poop is yellow and white.

Will she be alright we caught it in a matter of no more than 16 hours. She is on a pretty strong medication that I am allergic to. She was lethargic but is moving around and drinking lots of water now. She isn’t talking yet but is doing pretty good I believe. Her poop is yellow and white.
it’s good that she is eating a little and drinking right?? She has also been moving around so not complete lethargy either

what's her food? does she have oyster shell available? access to water 24/7?

https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms/

this ight answer some of your questions!
non of them have have water at night because she spills it everywhere but she does have water all day today and has been drinking a lot. She eats Purina layena crumbles with scratch sometimes. I think the cause was dehydration because she has been attacking the water. I give her water during the day so I don’t know why she was so dehydrated. Can animals like snakes catch sepsis from her? I have 6 dogs,2 cats, a boa constrictor, a ferret, and 5 more chickens and 3 ducks. Can they catch it from her?

non of them have have water at night because she spills it everywhere but she does have water all day today and has been drinking a lot. She eats Purina layena crumbles with scratch sometimes. I think the cause was dehydration because she has been attacking the water. I give her water during the day so I don’t know why she was so dehydrated. Can animals like snakes catch sepsis from her? I have 6 dogs,2 cats, a boa constrictor, a ferret, and 5 more chickens and 3 ducks. Can they catch it from her?

sepsis is an infection in the blood and is non-transmissible. the only way they'll get sepsis is if they also get an infection that makes it to their blood stream.

Back
Top Bottom