Chicken got egg bound!! Can someone please help me understand?

I honestly don’t even know how Percy got it.

Percy probably got sepsis from another infection first. Usually, sepsis is a secondary infection, just like with people - she might have had a wound or an internal issue that caused her to develop sepsis. If she was egg bound, you might need to watch out for something called salpingitis, which is an infection in her oviduct.

Has she laid something looked like an egg but was rubbery or maybe pus-like and solid?

I doubt if the other animals would catch anything from her. If she is pooping, she isn’t egg bound anymore. It happens sometime when chickens can have trouble laying eggs, and they may get egg bound with one egg while another is right behind. Make sure that she is taking layer feed and that she has access to crushed oyster shell. That will help her lay eggs with strong shells. Are you giving her antibiotics now?

Percy probably got sepsis from another infection first. Usually, sepsis is a secondary infection, just like with people - she might have had a wound or an internal issue that caused her to develop sepsis. If she was egg bound, you might need to watch out for something called salpingitis, which is an infection in her oviduct.

Has she laid something looked like an egg but was rubbery or maybe pus-like and solid?
Never. The chickens had pecked her and made a huge bleeding sore on and near her vent twice in the past weeks outside. Could that have caused her to get infected with something? We took her out both times but they always do it to her. Also is it normal for top part of a vent to be bigger and kinda hang over the bottom part. My turkens is like that at her vents. There is only one other egg laying chicken right now that I know of.

I doubt if the other animals would catch anything from her. If she is pooping, she isn’t egg bound anymore. It happens sometime when chickens can have trouble laying eggs, and they may get egg bound with one egg while another is right behind. Make sure that she is taking layer feed and that she has access to crushed oyster shell. That will help her lay eggs with strong shells. Are you giving her antibiotics now?
Yes amoxicillin and some pain. She gets one full chewable dissolved in water with a syringe

It's more common than most folks think to have two eggs involved when a hen becomes egg bound. When it happened to hens of mine, three total if my memory is correct, I had never heard of such a thing, but to have all three hens have two eggs hung up must say something.

Why does it happen? I don't know. But something in a hen is suddenly "off" and she releases two yolks nearly simultaneously, but not so close as to become a double yolk single egg. Instead, they become two separate eggs coming down one immediately following the other.

This "bounty" presents a problem when they reach the shell gland where there most often is only enough calcium to make a shell for one egg, usually the first one. The second egg is a shell-less egg. Often, the first egg gets stuck, and the hen is then in trouble. I tell people to always assume there are two eggs involved and to continue treatment for egg binding even though an egg has been expelled. Failure to continue treatment can result in the second egg being stuck or worse, ruptured.

Depending on where the egg gets stuck, the hen can die in less than 24 hours from the blockage and subsequent poop backup.

The treatment consists of administering a calcium citrate supplement immediately when the crises is first identified, and continuing with one tablet per day until the crisis has passed and the hen is laying normal eggs, one egg per cycle. This is the calcium I recommend as it's easiest and quickest to absorb.
978A12E8-0B9F-4960-9278-10CAEE50EAE6.jpeg

It's more common than most folks think to have two eggs involved when a hen becomes egg bound. When it happened to hens of mine, three total if my memory is correct, I had never heard of such a thing, but to have all three hens have two eggs hung up must say something.

Why does it happen? I don't know. But something in a hen is suddenly "off" and she releases two yolks nearly simultaneously, but not so close as to become a double yolk single egg. Instead, they become two separate eggs coming down one immediately following the other.

This "bounty" presents a problem when they reach the shell gland where there most often is only enough calcium to make a shell for one egg, usually the first one. The second egg is a shell-less egg. Often, the first egg gets stuck, and the hen is then in trouble. I tell people to always assume there are two eggs involved and to continue treatment for egg binding even though an egg has been expelled. Failure to continue treatment can result in the second egg being stuck or worse, ruptured.

Depending on where the egg gets stuck, the hen can die in less than 24 hours from the blockage and subsequent poop backup.

The treatment consists of administering a calcium citrate supplement immediately when the crises is first identified, and continuing with one tablet per day until the crisis has passed and the hen is laying normal eggs, one egg per cycle. This is the calcium I recommend as it's easiest and quickest to absorb. View attachment 2484482
The doctor said that one egg was deformed and it didn’t have a solid shell. She is pooping green color now

It looks like she's starting to prolapse. That would be another clue that there's more material inside that she's trying to expel. As for the vet, if you can afford it, then, yes. But I don't know what they can do. She needs contractions to get the stuff out and calcium is the way to give her strong contrctions to do it. It's ind of like a human woman in childbirth having trouble expelling the placenta after the baby comes out.

Do you have any antacids that contain calcium? Tums?

I would agree to give some extra calcium for the next few days. Vent pecking can injure the vent for future egg laying, and can also introduce infection. I would give amoxicillin at 57 mg per pound twice a day for at least 7 days. Also use some probiotics during and after treatment .

I would agree to give some extra calcium for the next few days. Vent pecking can injure the vent for future egg laying, and can also introduce infection. I would give amoxicillin at 57 mg per pound twice a day for at least 7 days. Also use some probiotics during and after treatment .
The doctor gave me enough for more than 7 days. They say to give it every 12 hours. Sorry I read the slip she have me. It’s clavamox but it has amoxicillin in it. They are 375g chewable tablets

The doctor gave me enough for more than 7 days. They say to give it every 12 hours. Sorry I read the slip she have me. It’s clavamox but it has amoxicillin in it. They are 375g chewable tablets
I was super frazzled yesterday so I didn’t have time to sit there and read the medicine. She gave me this slip and it was all about amoxicillin. The medicine had it in there but the brand is clavamox though

Back
Top Bottom