Chicken grooming? Sanitary trim?

camelidae

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
Hello, Im new on here and to chickens. I have never really had a problem with my Chinese Silkies keeping their bums clean. Seems theyre extra fluffy or extra dirty this winter because occasionally they will get a seriously poo covered bottom. I have in the past washed with dawn and dried but it is very cold here now and I am wondering if I could trim or use clipper to give a llittle sanitary trim back there. Whats the best way to go about chicken grooming? Figured this would be the place to go because of those showing chickens. Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
yep you can trim the bums. since you are seeing problems check the birds closely for mites. mites can be spread by wild birds.

Will check for mites. How do you suggest trimming? Mechanical clippers or just scissors? Do I need to look out for new feathers that could bleed? I dont know silkies have diifferent sort of feathers so...
Thanks so much!

I trim mine and never had any problems with the bleeding. Helps keep them clean but I would definatily check for mites and powder them up

Newly molted feathers are the ones that really 'bleed'-most times if you look closely you can still see a little blood in their. Foot feathers can also bleed at the base. But regardless, you shouldn't be trimming enough to have ANY blood. Don't trim all the way to the feather base; just the 'fluff' part. I use regular safety scissors. It's not an exact science but we do what works for us.

If you're planning on legit showing the chickens, trimming can be an issue. Judges don't like to see Silkies with trimmed fluff.

Thanks for all the great info! Will get to trimming some girls fluff in the morning. I dont show my girls. They originated from a pair of show chicken many many generations ago though. I dont know even the requirements for that kind of thing. It does sound like a lot of fun. How do you go about getting started in that type of thing? What kind of paperwork is required and how do you find out about shows? Is it a lot like dog showing ?

Quote:
In some ways, it's like dog showing, but in alot of others, it's not. There's quite a few threads on the subjects (you can do a search) but in a nutshell, it certainly is very fun, I think.
smile.png
There's actually a thread that was just made a little while ago asking about what chickens to show, etc. Silkies in general are a tough competition because there are so many of them.

If you're ever looking to show, perhaps attend a decently sized show (not a dinky county fair) near you and walk around. Find a breed that catches your eye, because that is what will make the showing fun. Perhaps find an exhibitor who owns the breed you like, at the show, and ask what it is like to raise them and prepare them, etc. Read up on their standard, do your research. Then, buy the very best birds you can buy. I suggest mature adults.

Paperwork can differ at certain shows. Mine sometimes requires either NPIP or pollorum typhloid testing, which can be done by anyone from a vet to a 4H leader-depending upon your town. They need special licenses to be able to do testing for the county/state. Although I'm not certain who you would contact. The lady who does my basic testing is certified from our county agricultural office.

If you google shows in your state or around your state you could come up with some semi-local ones. Otherwise, look at the Chickenstocks, Show and Swaps section of the forum and lurk, maybe post asking what shows are in your area.

Dirty bottoms usually means that there are lice eggs around the vent. These tend to collect poop, which collects more, which collects more. Cut off all featehrs that have collect poop or show signs of lice eggs. Spray with a dog flea/tick spray that contains and insect growth regulator. Repeat in a week, and again a week later.

Back
Top Bottom