Chicken Guard Premium battery issues

New Chicken Mum

In the Brooder
May 19, 2021
I've recently installed a Chicken Guard Premium automatic coop door opener. It's only been in since March 2021 and I've put the 4th set of batteries in today, because it refused to open, even though it said the last set had 50% battery life.

I had come to terms with having to change batteries every month, but the last lot had only been in for about 2 weeks (all new batteries of the type they recommend) and I wasn't getting a low battery warning or any other error message, it just reset the time to 0.00am and wouldn't function at all.

So firstly, has anyone else had this issue with the batteries only lasting a month in these units? I thought the website said it would run for about a year on one set of batteries. If it's not normal for them to run down so quickly, there is obviously a fault that is draining them.

And secondly, any ideas as to why it would suddenly fail, even though the screen had power, and said there was 50% battery life? I had no error message, no low battery warning, no red light at all. Just not enough power to operate the motor?:confused:

It's working now with the new set of batteries, but I don't have any confidence in leaving it to let my gorgeous girls in and out, if it is so unreliable. And if I have to be there to check it has let them out and closed again at night, there is really no point in having an automatic door! :he

When I got a chicken auto door, I did much research into as many doors as I could. Chicken Guard is one I passed on. I have read that some individuals have had programming issues with theirs also. It was something to do with the software update, or such. I could find those threads , but it was about 6 months ago when I read them.
I suggest you return your unit, and request a new replacement. I know there are peeps using their Chicken Guard units, with good results. Their batteries last about one year as well.
My Auto door, (I am not mentioning name brand, unless you ask) battery lasts over 1 year, and I replace with a $5 dollar 6volt battery from Walmart. Has been operating since Spring 2017 with no problems.
I really think yours is a factory defective unit. I of course cant tell you what is wrong with it. When you send it back, maybe Chicken Guard can analyze it, and determine defect.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I have the Chicken Guard Premium with their locking door and have to replace my batteries every 3 months which I thought was disappointing as they claim 12 months.

I did think that part of my issue might be that the CG isn't directly above the door and uses a pulley so that I could mount it on the outside of the coop - maybe this causes more friction / work for the motor?

How is yours installed? How heavy is your door?

Just contact them, they'll send you a new one.

I have 2 of theirs, an extreme & a premium with locking door. The batteries last about 8 months on the premium & over a year on the extreme. Both have 2 pulleys inline & the extreme works a very heavy metal door.

I had issues where I needed to override the lux settings on one as it's in a very dark area, they emailed me back in like an hour on a Sunday night with the answer I needed. They were extremely helpful. I have had one of the door for years & have never had an issue with either, you definitely do!

One thing to consider.... brand of batteries.

I wouldn't buy one that had the AA or AAA for this reason

I'm guessing @cavemanrich and I have the same door.... which I need to get a new battery today after 18-19 working, not used 20 till about a month ago. So not bad for $5. Glad I didn't get the 2 pack as the 2nd might not work lol

I contacted CG too and they suggested I change the batteries to Energizer (I was using Eveready) and also suggested I change some of the units settings. So I turned off the remote control setting (which makes the red light flash constantly apparently) and updated the firmware with the dongle they sent me.

And....it is working perfectly! So I'm very happy and so are my chickens! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom