Chicken gurgling when breathing

I"m in a similar situation, so have little useful information, but a posting anyway- for solidarity? :) I have a hen I've had inside, in a dog crate for a month now. (OK, she gets to walk around the room for a few hours each day until I get tired of cleaning up poop.) She first had coccidiosis, and I treated her successfully for that with Corid. As soon as she was over it she came down with: coughing, I guess it is? And she sounds like a cat purring when she sleeps. Breating through liquid? Like yours she's otherwise alert and happy. She's just lately also had a little nasal wetness. I've heard antibiotics might work (doxycycline), but can't bear to spend $32 on a 16 oz bottle and use only 30cc's out of the whole thing with no promise that it will actually cure her. We're both unemployed now and -well, broke. Any ideas of other ways to get antibiotics or to treat her would be welcomed. Someone told me maybe it's allergies, but I don't really believe it. . She's a nice chicken, but I'm concerned that if I put her in with the flock I may get a whole coop of bubbling chickens. We have access to a local farm store (hence the 16 oz bottle of doxy) as well as tractor supply.
Yes sounds similar - the gurgling but otherwise seems fine. Quite puzzling 😪

Assuming the chicken aspirated the clear fluid that came out of her mouth when the man picked her up (and that it’s not gape worm), what’s the outlook? unfortunately she’s not very friendly so I’m having a hard time even getting close enough to pick her up to feel her crop - she just bit my daughter when she tried!

Assuming the chicken aspirated the clear fluid that came out of her mouth when the man picked her up (and that it’s not gape worm), what’s the outlook? unfortunately she’s not very friendly so I’m having a hard time even getting close enough to pick her up to feel her crop - she just bit my daughter when she tried!
Is she still gurgling?
A good way to get a hold of a bird that is skittish is to wait until roosting. For crop check go out early while it's still dark and get her from the roost. Careful not to press her crop just in case it's filled with fluid.

Gurgling can often be due to crop issues - treatment links were in previous posts.

Back
Top Bottom