Chicken has a cataract

Vanschelt

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 6, 2018
I have a 6 year old Americana hen who I just recently notice she had a cataract in her left eye. Sadly my favorite hen. We live in Salt Lake City and we are dealing with cold temperatures, in the 20s. she seem a bit disoriented and she is loosing weight. Not sure what to do for her. She isn't perching but sitting in a corner of the coop at night. I am concerned for her. Today, she acted as though she could see at all. I have a heating element that screws in to a light socket. It doesn't give them a lot of heat. I have 4 hens. they are getting old and aren't laying eggs for several months. And great advice for my cataract hen? Breaks my hart for her. I want her to be comfortable but with this weather as cold as it is, I want to do what's best for her. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have a 6 year old Americana hen who I just recently notice she had a cataract in her left eye. Sadly my favorite hen. We live in Salt Lake City and we are dealing with cold temperatures, in the 20s. she seem a bit disoriented and she is loosing weight. Not sure what to do for her. She isn't perching but sitting in a corner of the coop at night. I am concerned for her. Today, she acted as though she could see at all. I have a heating element that screws in to a light socket. It doesn't give them a lot of heat. I have 4 hens. they are getting old and aren't laying eggs for several months. And great advice for my cataract hen? Breaks my hart for her. I want her to be comfortable but with this weather as cold as it is, I want to do what's best for her. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Try making a cozy little box for her to sit in with bedding. If she’s having trouble eating, mix up some feed with water (hot water might be good) this should be easier for her to eat, especially if in a bowl and easy to access. Make sure she stays hydrated. Depends on personality, but she might enjoy some house visits during the day. When one of my hens had cancer I set her up in a corner with on some towels, the house was less stressful for her. But that depends on the bird.

Back
Top Bottom