Silkie developing cataract in one eye

StepfordCuckoos

Songster
Mar 20, 2019
My 3 year old silkie, Inky, has developed a white cloudy area on her eye. It does not seem to bother her at all. I included a picture of her other eye for reference. Could this be a cataract? I posted on FB and someone said maybe she has ocular Mareks. I truly hope that's not the case. She isn't acting sick or anything.
Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 5.02.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 5.02.28 PM.png

It doesn't look like what I see with Marek's. It could be a cataract or it could be scarring from an injury or infection. Do you know how long it's been that way? If it's new, I would probably use some terramycin eye ointment in the eye a couple of times a day just to make sure there is no active infection going on. You can get that without prescription at many feed stores or tractor supply stores. You can also use plain neosporin if you can't get the terramycin.

It doesn't look like what I see with Marek's. It could be a cataract or it could be scarring from an injury or infection. Do you know how long it's been that way? If it's new, I would probably use some terramycin eye ointment in the eye a couple of times a day just to make sure there is no active infection going on. You can get that without prescription at many feed stores or tractor supply stores. You can also use plain neosporin if you can't get the terramycin.
That makes me feel much better. I noticed it this past week. And previous to that I never noticed anything odd. She has, however, been spending a lot of time off raising her baby chick. She's in an enclosed run but she will either stay in the coop or relax in a shady spot away from the others. I didn't see anything odd about the eye previously but I also wasn't looking, so I could have missed if it was swollen or something.

Back
Top Bottom