Chicken has bubbles coming out of one eye.

Jul 31, 2020
So we have 2 brown layer hens who started sneezing and had runny noses the day we got them. They were fine up until a couple hours after we got them home. One started sneezing then the next a few more hours later. They were treated with tetracycline for 14 days and have improved. Both look much healthier (minimal sneezing and runny noses only on the one who was a little worse had reduced to just a little sniffle) and one has started laying. We were about to put them back with the rest of them and I just got them in the cage and the one who got sick first and was fine all day suddenly has bubbles coming out of her eye. The eye looks fine and the bubbles came out when she sneezed. She was looking much better too 😞 She suddenly started sneezing more once she got into the cage. Then the bubbles. Maybe she got something in her eye? Either way I have taken them back out again until I know what it is.
We weren’t sure what it was and there aren’t many vets around here that take chickens so we just used the antibiotics we had. What do I do now? Do I get different antibiotics? Other than the bubbles and the lessened sneezing she’s healthy.

edit to add: all of our chickens were exposed to them when they first developed symptoms. One girl was in the box with them and was isolated separately and no one developed any symptoms but were treated with the same antibiotic just to be safe.

Last edited:
Similar thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-with-bubbles-in-eyes.1440649/

You should have Tylosin on hand in your kit. Maybe try some probiotics and immune system boosting foods until you get Tylosin.

I had a rooster with bubbly eyes, mucous dropping out of mouth, chronically sick for months and months. Finally went away after three day treatment with sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. But I was treating the whole flock for cocci, it just happened to cure him. I only share this because Tylosin did not work on him, but another medicine did. The Tylosin was delivered orally by drops, but the Sulfa was delivered by powder in the water for three days.

It is a bronchial infection and maybe has been made more resistent by the first antibiotic you gave. I'd keep trying with the new meds.

Similar thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-with-bubbles-in-eyes.1440649/

You should have Tylosin on hand in your kit. Maybe try some probiotics and immune system boosting foods until you get Tylosin.

I had a rooster with bubbly eyes, mucous dropping out of mouth, chronically sick for months and months. Finally went away after three day treatment with sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. But I was treating the whole flock for cocci, it just happened to cure him. I only share this because Tylosin did not work on him, but another medicine did. The Tylosin was delivered orally by drops, but the Sulfa was delivered by powder in the water for three days.

It is a bronchial infection and maybe has been made more resistent by the first antibiotic you gave. I'd keep trying with the new meds.
Unfortunately you can’t get tylosin here without a prescription. And there’s no vets who take chickens here locally. I can’t drive to get to one either. The healthier chicken has no symptoms anymore. Hopefully she’s just got something in her eye.

Unfortunately you can’t get tylosin here without a prescription. And there’s no vets who take chickens here locally. I can’t drive to get to one either. The healthier chicken has no symptoms anymore. Hopefully she’s just got something in her eye.
Someone said you can order it online without a prescription in that thread? You are okay to assume the bubbling will go away on its own also. I don't know how or where to get medicines where you live.

Someone said you can order it online without a prescription in that thread? You are okay to assume the bubbling will go away on its own also. I don't know how or where to get medicines where you live.
I live in Australia so I’d assume I would have to order from overseas. Would likely take weeks to arrive so I guess I will have to wait unless she gets worse. Her eye isn’t swollen and when I checked on her just before there were no more bubbles. But they did stop before earlier and then come back a few minutes later

Hello from Peru. I don't have mail here too. It took me a while to get a medical kit together but the local agricultural and vet supply stores in the city carry most drugs for livestocks. Sounds like they regulate more where you live the drugs.

Back
Top Bottom