Chicken has one leg unable to support any weight

cindypettit

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
This is my first post, although I have frequently used your forum to diagnosis and treat other issues and I appreciate all the help provided here.

My hen is a Rhode Island who is 2 years old. We went on vacation for five days and when we returned, I discovered she was egg bound and her right leg unable to support her. Found her Friday AM and had egg Friday afternoon after reading posts here and doing suggested treatments. She tries to stand on her good leg but isn't successful. Yesterday, Sunday, she laid the biggest (size of X-large egg) turd which was a solid mass of greenish goo, with a bit of white stuff overlaying. Prior to that, her poo was yellowish and runny.

She is in my extra bathroom downstairs in a crate and I have mostly been giving her water thru a syringe and have food close to her that she can access if she wants. She can access water if she wants too. No fevers, no obvious injuries, swelling, bumps, lumps, etc.
My guess has been nerve damage. Her butt swelling is reduced since large poo, I've been hoping with that occurrence that some pressure would be released and her leg could start functioning now.

Thinking to soak her rear to clean it up and then blow dry her. Any other thoughts, suggestions, or questions that I'm missing?

I read about the asipirin as a possible antiinflammatory and haven't tried that but will.

Thanks.
Cindy

welcome-byc.gif
and sorry about your hen, but you may be right about the nerve. hopefully with rest and maybe some baby aspirin she'll come out of it. Give her a good warm soak to clean her up and it might also help her legs. maybe add a little epsom salt to the water. then let her soak for about 30 mins. I looked up baby aspirin for chickens and one poster said 1 baby A for average size hen. you could dissolve it in some warm water and let her drink at will or dissolve and try dribbling onto her beak and she'll probably drink it. Thank goodness she laid the egg. make sure you blow dry her with the lowest setting so she doesn't chill. Let us know how she is doing..

Thanks Miss Lydia -
After soak and during blowdry her bad leg was shaking. She spent some good time with my help with weight on her good leg.
She can bring her leg up and hold it up, she can expand her toes/claws while leg is lowered. I'm not sure if this is new or me just being more observant.

Because she can retract leg and move toes do you think we might make it thru this?

Cindy

Living in beautiful Henderson, NV with 3 horses, 9 chickens, 3 parrots, 2 cats, and 2 dogs and a Wonderful Husband who makes it all possible.

Last edited:
Miss Lydia -

She walked four steps- limping- but putting weight on the bad leg and quickly moving the good leg forward - still that is great progress, I'm so excited. It has been six days. Thanks for responding so I could share my good news.

Philippians 4:6&7

Back
Top Bottom