Chicken has red, inflamed looking behind. Now limping too. Mites or something else?

ChickenButt78

Hatching
Jul 22, 2020
A few days ago, I noticed one of our birds has red, inflamed skin under her wings and near her behind. The skin is not broken or bleeding. Also some dark flecks in tail feathers. She seemed otherwise fine, so I was not too concerned, but I just noticed she is limping too, and even though she has always had weird feet, her ankles seem especially swollen now. She is eating and drinking and moving around. She is one of three birds, and the other birds are all fine. About two weeks ago we unexpectedly lost a fourth bird to what we self-diagnosed as flystrike. This does not appear to be the same. Could it be mites? Or something else?

A little background:

1) She looks like a Buff Orpington. We don't know how old she is, as we rescued her from a family that found her about a year and a half ago. They treated her legs for mites prior to us picking her up. She is the simpleton of the flock. An exceptionally dim chicken.
2) She's limping around with red skin near her rear/under back end of wing.
3) Red butt for a few days, limping since today.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma? No signs of trauma
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation? Don't know.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She has been organic chicken feed, and some fruit and veggie scraps. We recently added a capful of apple cider vinegar to the water.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop looks normal, but she does have some runny looking poop stuck to the feathers around her vent.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I'd love advice on what to do and how to treat her at home. My neighbor is a large animal vet, so I could ask her if she happens to know anything about this.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use She has a big enough coop and roosting area, and bedding is changed regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_4438.JPEG
    IMG_4438.JPEG
    744.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4433.jpg
    IMG_4433.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4434.jpg
    IMG_4434.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4439.jpg
    IMG_4439.jpg
    918.8 KB · Views: 37
Hey,
You can check out this website,
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/reasons-for-missing-feathers-in-html/
Or maybe this can help you,
' This condition is the result of failure of the feathers to rupture from their sheaths. The underlying cause is vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency. ' Different parasites can be seen on the head and body of chickens. These parasites appear as black, brown or red “spots” on chickens.

Let me know......

I've got some buffs, and those dark flecks on the tail are normal. It's just the coloring.

I know that doesn't help a whole lot but hopefully a little :)

I see a band on her left leg, which does look inflamed. Is there any reason to have the band there or can you remove it? It could be it's caused some kind of abscess on her leg as the band is narrower than the swollen area on her leg, suggesting it is constricting her leg -- I would look closely at all sides of it after the band is removed, especially if you're smelling something bad.

1595488065285.png

A few days ago, I noticed one of our birds has red, inflamed skin under her wings and near her behind. The skin is not broken or bleeding. Also some dark flecks in tail feathers. She seemed otherwise fine, so I was not too concerned, but I just noticed she is limping too, and even though she has always had weird feet, her ankles seem especially swollen now. She is eating and drinking and moving around. She is one of three birds, and the other birds are all fine. About two weeks ago we unexpectedly lost a fourth bird to what we self-diagnosed as flystrike. This does not appear to be the same. Could it be mites? Or something else?

A little background:

1) She looks like a Buff Orpington. We don't know how old she is, as we rescued her from a family that found her about a year and a half ago. They treated her legs for mites prior to us picking her up. She is the simpleton of the flock. An exceptionally dim chicken.
2) She's limping around with red skin near her rear/under back end of wing.
3) Red butt for a few days, limping since today.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma? No signs of trauma
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation? Don't know.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She has been organic chicken feed, and some fruit and veggie scraps. We recently added a capful of apple cider vinegar to the water.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop looks normal, but she does have some runny looking poop stuck to the feathers around her vent.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I'd love advice on what to do and how to treat her at home. My neighbor is a large animal vet, so I could ask her if she happens to know anything about this.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use She has a big enough coop and roosting area, and bedding is changed regularly.
1. Get a paper towel moist with warm water, hold it on the poopy area for a few minutes and then gently wipe (not pull) until she is clean. I suspect someone else may be pecking to clean the dirty area on her.
2. Get rid of the ACV, instead use a homemade electrolyte solution. The water may be too acidic for the summer heat, you need to neutralize that in her system. The electrolyte has baking soda in it, which will do this for her.
3. Remove the leg band and clean the entire foot and leg with peroxide and a cotton swab. Then apply neosporin ointment WITHOUT lidocaine. (Lidocaine is toxic to chickens and birds)
4. Dust your chicken from neck to tail with food grade diatomaceous earth for any mites or lice. Also sprinkle it in your run and coop, while the chickens are not present in them, so it doesn't irritate their airways while you disperse it. Once it settles it will be okay, and if they dust bathe in it.

Hope she feels better soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom