chicken has two bottoms

chrissyl

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Hello...I have a new pullett who is acting very healthy and normal except she had a bit of a dirty bottom. I cleaned and clipped area and see that she has two bottom holes - side by side (horizontally) - with a sort of boney area in-between. Not sure if I should put her down humanely before she starts to lay eggs (probably have a couple of weeks max).. as I dont know if this is going to be an issue for her and do not want her to suffer.
thanks Chrissy

She also has a face...lol...seems happy enough...shes the one at the front with no tail feathers.
DSC06466.JPG

I would not put her down. There have been numerous threads of chicks with 2 vents here on BYC who have survived, and even laid eggs into adulthood. Make sure that she is pooping out of one of the openings. The other side could be her oviduct opening. Here is a picture from one thread where several people reported this birth defect:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-with-2-vents-graphic-pic-update.30245/

Thankyou sooooo much - I will check the poop scenario and keep a very close eye on her...not keen at all to put her down. :)

I agree. I would be very interested to see her back end and have the opportunity to learn how she manages with this. Always keen to improve my knowledge. I had not come across anything like this before..... I was expecting this to be another flystrike/prolapse/hernia post. This is much more interesting! I hope she is able to live comfortably with the condition.

I would not put her down. There have been numerous threads of chicks with 2 vents here on BYC who have survived, and even laid eggs into adulthood. Make sure that she is pooping out of one of the openings. The other side could be her oviduct opening. Here is a picture from one thread where several people reported this birth defect:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-with-2-vents-graphic-pic-update.30245/

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-12_14-18-31.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-12_14-18-31.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 31
  • upload_2018-8-12_14-18-49.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-12_14-18-49.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
DSC06461.JPG
Apologies everyone - I could not work out how to put a graphic warning / rename this thread without starting over and losing you all (?). Also, this is a VERY zoomed in photo & doesn't look good - think I cut those last 2 feathers a bit close...feel awful about that but gave her a nice bath & treats afterwards so hope she forgives me!!! Very new at this!
Thanks again for interest/support.
chrissy :)
DSC06461.JPG

Back
Top Bottom