Chicken head and tail drooping

Can you cut the egg open?

What do you feed including treats?
Does she have grit available?

Where are you located in the world?
I would get some Calcium into her, you can find Caltrate or Generic Calcium Carbonate at stores like WalMart or CVS. Give 1 tablet daily.
Hard to tell if that's a lash egg (Salpingitis) or just a bunch of membranes wrapped together. Either way, hard to expel and the Calcium can help with contractions.

If she were mine, I would also start her on an antibiotic like Amoxicillin. With the blood and the shape of the "egg", I would worry about infection. Antibiotics may help if this is not too advanced, but reproductive disorders eventually take their tole on hens. If you are in the US, you can order it online. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days. https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collections/amoxicillin-fish-antibiotics

Keep her drinking and if her crop is not emptying, then address that too.

I will try to get Amoxicillin though and the calcium supplement, I feed her already a high calcium layer feed, I also fed her some water with natural apple cider vinegar, although not recently, should I give her some greens like spinach and natural apple cider vinegar again? I still don't know if she is drinking enough is there any way to encourage her to drink more that doesn't involve forcing it down her throat with a syringe like medicine? I also gave her a small light since I thought she might need it, she still just nets in the little place I have for her since not much to do but she doesn't seem as tired now.

Here is the egg cut open as well.

Attachments

• badegg.jpg
    badegg.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 7
  • badegg2.jpg
    badegg2.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 8
  • badegg3.jpg
    badegg3.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 7
  • badegg4.jpg
    badegg4.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 7
  • badegg5.jpg
    badegg5.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 7
I will try to get Amoxicillin though and the calcium supplement, I feed her already a high calcium layer feed, I also fed her some water with natural apple cider vinegar, although not recently, should I give her some greens like spinach and natural apple cider vinegar again? I still don't know if she is drinking enough is there any way to encourage her to drink more that doesn't involve forcing it down her throat with a syringe like medicine? I also gave her a small light since I thought she might need it, she still just nets in the little place I have for her since not much to do but she doesn't seem as tired now.

Here is the egg cut open as well.
If she's not drinking well, you can also give her wet feed.
Is she moving about more? She may enjoy being taken outside for a visit or being around her flock for a while, if that's possible. Sometimes this will perk them up a little.

I've never used ACV, I personally don't see the benefit. She may like a small amount of chopped spinach as a treat if her crop is emptying. Egg, fish, meat, a little soft fruit one time a day also make nice treats.

Tylan is used all of the time on chickens and is one of the few FARAD approved medicines they can take. There is no egg withdrawal time either. Tylan works well for symptoms of MG (mycoplasma.) Amoxicillin is better for a reproductive infection.
I have tylan now I was just worried about using it because they said that this particular tylan was for pets only but if you say it is alright to use on her I will use it.

My other question is can I use both in conjunction or do I have to wait in between, I know she needs amoxicillin due to the lash eggs but she also needs tylan due to her respiratory issues.

Usually I would use one or the other. Is she still having signs that could be mycoplasma such as eye bubbles, any swelling around an eye, or nasal drainage? There is a commercial mixture of those 2 medicines called amoxy-tyl that some use, so it is probably okay to use both at the same time.
She still has breathing issues, I wouldn't say she has eye bubbles or nasal drainage, though I will say until recently her eyes looked well they had a tired expression. I have tylon right now though so should I go ahead and use it until the amox arrives for her lash egg problem?

when I hold her for long periods of time, she still seems to sneeze though

I also found another hard bone like object in her poop that has also much remained the same being dryish and light brown color, its gotten a bit less dry and sometimes is dark brown and goey but its inconsistent, either way worried about every time I find white boney pieces
Can you get some photos of the white boney pieces. I must have missed that part.

It's good that her breathing is improved with the medication. Sneezing if held for a long time is interesting though. Does she sneeze when she's not held?

If the poop is really dry, then you can give her 1 tsp coconut oil or mineral oil twice a day for a couple of days to help with constipation. A dark brown gooey poop sounds like Cecal poop which is normal. This comes from the Ceca and is only produced about 1 out of every 8-10 poops, so it's an intermittent type of poop.

Layer feed does provide calcium, but some hens need more or they don't absorb the calcium like they should. Giving extra Calcium for a few days should not poison her.

I’ve never seen anything like the rocks in her poop before. Many of the commercial feeds contain probiotics now. But plain yogurt, buttermilk are both good inexpensive for probiotics, and most feed stores sell Probios and other probiotics.

I’ve never seen anything like the rocks in her poop before. Many of the commercial feeds contain probiotics now. But plain yogurt, buttermilk are both good inexpensive for probiotics, and most feed stores sell Probios and other probiotics.

Well she does seem to be a lot healthier reguardless at the moment, I will check for some local probiotics and yogurt/buttermilk, hopefully she just ate some hard objects and finally passed them through.

Back
Top Bottom