Chicken head and tail drooping

I will try to get Amoxicillin though and the calcium supplement, I feed her already a high calcium layer feed, I also fed her some water with natural apple cider vinegar, although not recently, should I give her some greens like spinach and natural apple cider vinegar again? I still don't know if she is drinking enough is there any way to encourage her to drink more that doesn't involve forcing it down her throat with a syringe like medicine? I also gave her a small light since I thought she might need it, she still just nets in the little place I have for her since not much to do but she doesn't seem as tired now.

Here is the egg cut open as well.
If she's not drinking well, you can also give her wet feed.
Is she moving about more? She may enjoy being taken outside for a visit or being around her flock for a while, if that's possible. Sometimes this will perk them up a little.

I've never used ACV, I personally don't see the benefit. She may like a small amount of chopped spinach as a treat if her crop is emptying. Egg, fish, meat, a little soft fruit one time a day also make nice treats.

You can get Tylosin here without a prescription:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp of the powder to a gallon of water for 3-5 days.
Tylan 50 injectable can sometimes be found in some feedstores with syringes and needles, and can be given orally 0.25 ml for each pound of weight given orally 3 times a day.
The package arrived but it said it was for pet birds only and shouldn't be used on livestock, should I use it anyways, is it safe to use?

You can get Aqua Mox amoxicillin online and possibly from a feed store. Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day given orally for 10 days. That looks like a lash egg, typical of salpingitis, inflammation of the oviduct. Chicken layer feed is best for her, ACV won’t do anything for reproductive disorders. A human calcium tablet can help if laying unusual eggs or egg binding. Here is where to find amoxicillin (Aqua Mox:)
https://www.chewy.com/midland-vet-services-aqua-mox-fish/dp/344724?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12700039114&utm_content=Midland Vet Services&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw4eb3tee9gIVovzjBx2aswgVEAQYAyABEgLEfPD_BwE
Since she also needs Tylosin for her respiratory issues but also amoxicillin which should I use first, the Tylosin arrived first though of course I am skeptical of its use due to the content of the previous post I made.

Tylan is used all of the time on chickens and is one of the few FARAD approved medicines they can take. There is no egg withdrawal time either. Tylan works well for symptoms of MG (mycoplasma.) Amoxicillin is better for a reproductive infection.

Tylan is used all of the time on chickens and is one of the few FARAD approved medicines they can take. There is no egg withdrawal time either. Tylan works well for symptoms of MG (mycoplasma.) Amoxicillin is better for a reproductive infection.
I have tylan now I was just worried about using it because they said that this particular tylan was for pets only but if you say it is alright to use on her I will use it.

My other question is can I use both in conjunction or do I have to wait in between, I know she needs amoxicillin due to the lash eggs but she also needs tylan due to her respiratory issues.

Usually I would use one or the other. Is she still having signs that could be mycoplasma such as eye bubbles, any swelling around an eye, or nasal drainage? There is a commercial mixture of those 2 medicines called amoxy-tyl that some use, so it is probably okay to use both at the same time.

Usually I would use one or the other. Is she still having signs that could be mycoplasma such as eye bubbles, any swelling around an eye, or nasal drainage? There is a commercial mixture of those 2 medicines called amoxy-tyl that some use, so it is probably okay to use both at the same time.
She still has breathing issues, I wouldn't say she has eye bubbles or nasal drainage, though I will say until recently her eyes looked well they had a tired expression. I have tylon right now though so should I go ahead and use it until the amox arrives for her lash egg problem?

I just lost a bird to Salpingitis and Bronchitis. Got her necropsy
report yesterday. Give her Terramycin from TS. One pill/day
for 4 days along with a calcium pill. They're both LARGE pills
but if you pull down her waddles she'll open her mouth and you can
shove them in. The terramycin will work on both problems she has,
if she's not too far gone. Good luck.

Last edited:
I just lost a bird to Salpingitis and Bronchitis. Got her necropsy
report yesterday. Give her Terramycin from TS. One pill/day
for 4 days along with a calcium pill. They're both LARGE pills
but if you pull down her waddles she'll open her mouth and you can
shove them in. The terramycin will work on both problems she has,
if she's not too far gone. Good luck.
I already have bought amoxicilian and tylosin for both issues, I also need to get a calcium suppliment but I will keep terramycin in mind, I am on a limited budget to what I can buy though.

A little update:
I have given her tylosin and her breathing has improved, no more coughing weazing or crackling when I hold her for long periods of time, she still seems to sneeze though, I have fed her wet feed for the last couple of days as her limited drinking of water has remained, I also found another hard bone like object in her poop that has also much remained the same being dryish and light brown color, its gotten a bit less dry and sometimes is dark brown and goey but its inconsistent, either way worried about every time I find white boney pieces of whatever in her fecal matter. Was going to give her a calcium supplement but was afraid that the layer feed was already enough calcium and I might poison her. Still waiting for amox to come in but like I said she keeps going, I hope she improves further. Oh yeah and she hasn't layed any eggs the past couple of days and I am hoping it isn't another lash egg.

Back
Top Bottom