Chicken housing

I have a plan. If I kept them in the Brooder for this week and then get them used to the coop for the five days after this week before I leave and then just tell the guy to let them out and in and make sure they have food and water

Is your coop ventilated well?
It is recommended that you keep the new members locked in the coop for a couple weeks so they understand where they go at night. If you don’t do this, you or the person taking care of them will have to coax them into the coop every night and this can be stressful on the chickens and the person who doesn’t know what they are doing.
This may help the person so all they have to do is food and water and they don’t need to let them out.
Make sure the feeder and waterer is fully stock just in case the person taking care of them forgets. There have been bad situations when owners return and the babysitter forgot to stop by, forgot to lock them in the coop and a predator stopped by, or they don’t know chickens And didn’t notice someone was sick.
Yes, I may just leave them in the router for this last week and bring them outside for a little field trips and then the last five days before I leave I’ll get them acclimated to the coop so he can let them out and feed them and water

They can be moved out now, WITHOUT heat, however if you haven't yet weaned them off heat and started acclimating them to outside temps, you should do that first for about a week before they move out permanently.

Might be tight trying to get them into a routine before you leave for vacation, but ideally you'd get them moved out in a week, then the next week ensuring they learn to go into the coop at night for their own safety, and then after that the pet sitter just needs to keep an eye on food and water, and let them out/put them in at night.

They can be moved out now, WITHOUT heat, however if you haven't yet weaned them off heat and started acclimating them to outside temps, you should do that first for about a week before they move out permanently.

Might be tight trying to get them into a routine before you leave for vacation, but ideally you'd get them moved out in a week, then the next week ensuring they learn to go into the coop at night for their own safety, and then after that the pet sitter just needs to keep an eye on food and water, and let them out/put them in at night.
Thanks a lot! I am going to start weaning them off the heat starting Monday when they are 4 weeks old for that whole week, also how should they do that? And then the 5 days after this week I will get them to go in the coop

Thanks a lot! I am going to start weaning them off the heat starting Monday when they are 4 weeks old for that whole week, also how should they do that? And then the 5 days after this week I will get them to go in the coop
What's your heat source? If it's a heat lamp, you can swap out for a lower wattage bulb, or turn it off for half the day, for example. If there's windows where the brooder is, you can prop them open to let in the cooler outside air. Or you can take them outside for increasing duration, i.e. 2 hrs the first day, 4 hrs the second, etc. Or you can combine some of the above - anything works as long as you're reducing the amount of heat they get, and/or increasing the amount of time they're exposed to outside temperatures.

As I brood outdoors with a heating pad I simply turn down the heat level every 5 days or so until it's off. By then the chicks are around 4 weeks old and fully acclimated to outdoor temps, just like that.

I am using a heat lamp but it is 70 degrees in my garage(it’s heated) should I pull the heat lamp up every day this week and increase the time they get outside every day this week and at the end of the week take them out for good. Would that be good?

Can you turn off the heating in the garage? If so, I would consider turning off one heat source first (either lamp or garage heater) and then after a few days, turn off the other, and that should bring them fairly close in line with the outside temperatures.
Ok and then keep them out for most Of the day and increase the time outdoors everyday?

Back
Top Bottom