Chicken Identification

kahicken

Hatching
6 Years
May 3, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Could anyone please tell me what kind of chicken this is? My nephew found him/her (we're calling him/her Peter) on the side of the road when he/she was a baby & knowing nothing about chickens we figured we better take him/her in & raise him/her so he/she wouldn't get hit by a car or worse. We all love Peter but really know nothing about chickens. Just curious as to what breed Peter is. Not that it matters because Peter has become apart of the family now. Any help would be very apprecited. Picture coming soon. Doing this from my phone & trying to get a pic on here.

Last edited:
Ok finally got a couple pics of my boy or girl Peter or Petrina, although I am not fond of the name Petrina. So here they are & yes Peter does come inside on occasion, mostly to watch some TV.

Last edited:
Pete is female. My first thought looking at her is brown leghorn. She doesn't have the white earlobes, but sometimes they have to mature a little before you can really see them. If not a leghorn, probably a Welsummer. Look at pics of those breeds and see if one matches your girl.

I think Petrina is a Welsummer, because that is exactly what my Welsummers looked like when they were pullets. Also there is a possibility Petrina can be a Brown Leghorn, I don't think so because of the red earlobes. And I think at that age you would be able to see white earlobes if it were a white-egg-laying chicken.

At this age it's hard to tell which one of those breeds she is, but I bet she is either brown leghorn or welsummer. Once she starts to lay eggs, it'll be easier - maybe her ears will show color by then. If she lays a dark egg, probably with speckles, she's probably welsummer. If it's white, probably leghorn.

She's very pretty.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom