Chicken in distress swollen breast area

Neumann

Hatching
Jan 25, 2023
Hi there, I'm fairly new to having chickens. I have three hens. I discovered mites about a month ago and have since fixed this problem. Two of my chickens are doing better now but my little one is still missing feathers on her breast and it's red. Today she stayed in her nesting box all day. She laid her egg today so not egg bound. When I picked her up to examine her I noticed her breast area is swollen and feels like a water balloon. She is lethargic and just wants to be left alone. She did eat a little and drank some water.
Can anyone tell me what might be going on and/or what I should do?

How old is your hen? Is there fluid or air where she is swollen? Wondering if it's a damaged air sac or an issue causing internal fluid. Is her abdomen swollen (area under vent), or just her breast?

Probably want to take her to the vet if you are able to. Does she have any other symptoms?

It sounds like her crop is full and puffy. Could she be going broody? Broody hens will take to a nesting box, and will stop laying eventually. They will pull any eggs set in front of them under them. They may growl when you approach them, and just sit there stapiring off into space. Mine frequently had puffy crops since digestion slows down.

I would sit a small (tuna or cat food) can of water in front of her, and offer mushy wet chicken feed. Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes can offer a boost. Check her crop once again in early morning when it should feel empty. Smell her breath for a bad or sour odor.

Thanks so much for this information. I will try everything you suggested and reach out if I need more help.

How old is your hen? Is there fluid or air where she is swollen? Wondering if it's a damaged air sac or an issue causing internal fluid. Is her abdomen swollen (area under vent), or just her breast?

Probably want to take her to the vet if you are able to. Does she have any other symptoms?
Unfortunately I don't know how old she is. She was left behind when I bought this house. She did get up this morning and ate a little bit drank a little bit and went back to her nesting box. Her feathers are really ruffled all the time. I had to work this morning but am headed out now to check on her. I will report anything new I observe.
I just want to say how much I appreciate all of you responding to my question and giving me suggestions. Thank you!

It sounds like her crop is full and puffy. Could she be going broody? Broody hens will take to a nesting box, and will stop laying eventually. They will pull any eggs set in front of them under them. They may growl when you approach them, and just sit there stapiring off into space. Mine frequently had puffy crops since digestion slows down.

I would sit a small (tuna or cat food) can of water in front of her, and offer mushy wet chicken feed. Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes can offer a boost. Check her crop once again in early morning when it should feel empty. Smell her breath for a bad or sour odor.
I did what you said. She did eat the mushy chicken feed but wouldn't take any water. Her chest does not appear to be swollen today like it was yesterday. She makes a funny sound when I approach her that I haven't heard before. It's hot today and I'm worried about her staying in the nesting box all day. Should I try to get her out of there?

I did what you said. She did eat the mushy chicken feed but wouldn't take any water. Her chest does not appear to be swollen today like it was yesterday. She makes a funny sound when I approach her that I haven't heard before. It's hot today and I'm worried about her staying in the nesting box all day. Should I try to get her out of there?
Sounding like a possible broody.

You can go on youtube and look up broody hen noises and see how they sound. They are unique. They will growl at you if you get too close sometimes, and some will peck you for going under them. Others will only growl and peck at other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom