Chicken injured by raccoon

1skimomi

Hatching
Oct 6, 2021
Hi Chicken Fam:

Our chicken house was broken into by raccoons late Monday evening. Three raccoons raided the house and killed two of our girls. The raccoons got in through the small metal solar door that my husband installed after the last raccoon attack. My husband got the two raccoons out of the house and upon further inspection, we noticed what we thought was a third dead chicken. The next morning, the "dead" chicken was alive. It appears that she had a large chunk of muscle taken out of her upper neck (I will enclose photos.) She is unsteady on her right foot but is able to walk and lay down. She can drink water; however, I haven't seen her eat. Is it cruel to keep her alive at this point or should we give it more time? I cleaned her wound (which wasn't bleeding) but I'm concerned she won't recover. This is not our first rodeo. We've lost 17 chickens to the prolific raccoons in our hood. I hate raccoons.

Welcome To BYC

I'm so sorry for your loss, how terrible!

If you can post some photos of your hen's injuries, we may be able to help you more.

Clean the wounds with Clorhexidine or Betadine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Keeping her hydrated is important, but she will need some nutrition. Try enticing her with we soupy feed, scrambled egg, etc. You may need to hold up a small bowl for her to see if she will eat on her own.

Hi Chicken Fam:

Our chicken house was broken into by raccoons late Monday evening. Three raccoons raided the house and killed two of our girls. The raccoons got in through the small metal solar door that my husband installed after the last raccoon attack. My husband got the two raccoons out of the house and upon further inspection, we noticed what we thought was a third dead chicken. The next morning, the "dead" chicken was alive. It appears that she had a large chunk of muscle taken out of her upper neck (I will enclose photos.) She is unsteady on her right foot but is able to walk and lay down. She can drink water; however, I haven't seen her eat. Is it cruel to keep her alive at this point or should we give it more time? I cleaned her wound (which wasn't bleeding) but I'm concerned she won't recover. This is not our first rodeo. We've lost 17 chickens to the prolific raccoons in our hood. I hate raccoons.
Did she survive?

Welcome To BYC

I'm so sorry for your loss, how terrible!

If you can post some photos of your hen's injuries, we may be able to help you more.

Clean the wounds with Clorhexidine or Betadine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Keeping her hydrated is important, but she will need some nutrition. Try enticing her with we soupy feed, scrambled egg, etc. You may need to hold up a small bowl for her to see if she will eat on her own.

It's hard to see cause of her feathers but it's bad😔

Attachments

• 20211027_143734.jpg
    20211027_143734.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom