Chicken Laws in Upland, CA?

I'd be happy to send a letter, too. We live in Pomona and the animal ordinance now allows only 12 chickens and no roosters. Two of our neighbors have roosters and we had two for a while (but got rid of them because I didn't want the stress of getting caught). No one seems to care about the noise and I periodically give the neighbors a carton of eggs to keep the ok with the chicken sounds! One of the reasons I chose to live in Pomona is that it's a relaxed place and because of the chicken keeping policy. Good luck with your city council!

Hello,

Did you have any luck with Upland and the chicken law. Seems pretty sad that they won't allow chickens. We want some and live in Upland, so I was just curious if you took action and the outcome. Any help is appreciated

I'd love to keep this thread going. I've got 3 hens now, and I hate the fact that I feel like I have to hide them. I live on approximately 12,000 sqft lot and they're in the far corner of my yard. Let's get something going for the city counsel. I'm not sure how these things work, but reading the above posts, it looks like some of you do. I would be proud to be a part of something like this.

Hello,

Did you have any luck with Upland and the chicken law. Seems pretty sad that they won't allow chickens. We want some and live in Upland, so I was just curious if you took action and the outcome. Any help is appreciated

After doing some searching through the city website, I got to Title 17 Zoning Ordinances. Under the "definitions" section states: "Animal-Keeping, Non-Commercial means any establishment that keeps animals only as pets, or for the production of eggs, milk, honey or meat for personal use only. Up to five chickens are permitted in single-family residential zones."

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I've printed it out, just in case I want to have a few hens of my own. I hope others out there with more knowledge on reading zoning laws can help out.

After doing some searching through the city website, I got to Title 17 Zoning Ordinances. Under the "definitions" section states: "Animal-Keeping, Non-Commercial means any establishment that keeps animals only as pets, or for the production of eggs, milk, honey or meat for personal use only. Up to five chickens are permitted in single-family residential zones."

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I've printed it out, just in case I want to have a few hens of my own. I hope others out there with more knowledge on reading zoning laws can help out.

Hi Trishamil, How is it going with your chickens?

I live in Upland as well and I am planning to get a few for my kids this spring and have some concerns (same as everyone else):
1. City law (is it allowed? Do I need to vaccinate periodically?),
2. noise level (no rooster),
3. zoning requirements (can I place coop at the end of property line?, Do I need to register animal?)

I called the city, but no one knows anything.... (lol).
I called the police department, they send me to animal control.
I called animal control twice, but they don't return call.....

I also found the zoning code saying "Up to five chickens are permitted in single-family residential zones." But that is vague and incomplete.....

Has anyone had any problems with neighbors or city? any advice?

I am going to support this. I was just looking up how other cities have done this. It's a lot of homework and having all the information ready to present to the city. I think we have a shot, but need to get people together to support our cause. I know San Antonio Heights is allowed chickens(among other animals). I think we would have a strong case in Upland because of egg prices being so high now and the green movement.
We need a proposal and to put it before the council. Best chances to get it passed would be:
I think we should be
1. allowed 5 chickens
2. No rooster
3. Must have a way to protect from predators
etc.
Then we need all the answers for the cons they may have--documented and ready to go for their info.

Just a suggestion.

Hi Farmgal4chicken,

Were you able to get the proposal thru?

I also live in Upland and I am planning to get a few chickens as pets for my kids. I found a zoning code that says "up to 5 chickens are allowed" (most likely thanks to everyone in this forum :) ); but that is all the information I found. Do you have any other information as far as law requirements? i.e. registration, vaccination, distance from property line, coop size limitations, etc

Hi Farmgal4chicken,

Were you able to get the proposal thru?

I also live in Upland and I am planning to get a few chickens as pets for my kids. I found a zoning code that says "up to 5 chickens are allowed" (most likely thanks to everyone in this forum :) ); but that is all the information I found. Do you have any other information as far as law requirements? i.e. registration, vaccination, distance from property line, coop size limitations, etc

@jfmiroslav, you can click on a users name to see when they were last active. If they haven't been active for some time, it is not likely you will get an answer. However, there is a forum for the states. Introduce yourself, ask if anyone is in your area. State threads are pinned at the very top - go into that thread and find your state.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/where-am-i-where-are-you.26/

Hi Upland Ca residents!

So they finally called me back from animal services.... they said:

"yes and no"

1. municipal code "18.08.060 Prohibited uses and structures" says no poultry allowed for any purpose.

2. municipal code: "17.51.010 Definitions" Animal-Keeping, Non-Commercial Up to five chickens are permitted in single-family residential zone

for the time being they are not acting on any fines; but they were told that the predominant part of the law is to restrict poultry and the law is in the process of being corrected. I was told by the end of the year or next (at the latest) the prohibition will go in place.

in other words, we can get chickens now, but will have to relocate them next year. :_( :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom