chicken leash debate

It's not something I have ever tried or have any intention of trying. Then again, if I had a dog it wouldn't be on a leash either. A well trained dog doesn't need one.

Many Gamefowl keepers leash their birds. Granted it's at the foot and I doubt many take them for walks, but they are tethered none the less.
It would seem that the tethering itself isn't considered a problem and what bugs people is the notion that a chicken can be a pet that one takes for walks.
People do have mainly house chickens and if walking them on a leash gives the chicken some exercise then I would prefer that than have them stuck in a cage.

I think from what I've read the harnesses are not damaging the chicken in any way except maybe causing them stress if they are not used to it and are not really tame. So, it's about how the chickens responds to wearing a harness. If the chicken isn't bothered then I can't see a problem. We do much worse things to the poor creatures.

Many, many, MANY years ago I had a pet lop earred bunny. Tried a harness to walk him, to keep him safe. Everytime ANYTHING went over head he became one with ground, flat as a pancake. Would. Not. Move. I can't imagine having a chicken on a leash and having a large bird fly over and the chaos that would ensue.

Many, many, MANY years ago I had a pet lop earred bunny. Tried a harness to walk him, to keep him safe. Everytime ANYTHING went over head he became one with ground, flat as a pancake. Would. Not. Move. I can't imagine having a chicken on a leash and having a large bird fly over and the chaos that would ensue.
Imagine encountering a dog on a leash. 😶‍🌫️

The leash in the first photo squishes a chicken’s crop if it is really full, plus those look like a nightmare to get on.
I’ve used a chicken harness for one of my hens before when she was at fair so she could walk around in the mornings. I used an Aviator harness that was originally made for parrots but a XL works perfectly for a chicken. I haven’t used the harness otherwise other than seeing how she reacts in it.

Because I wanted to and the birds I used were friendly enough to not really care.
I just let mine walk around at home. :confused:
Mine do too, but one went with me to the feed store (diapered) and one was at fair before the public was allowed in (with rags ready for the inevitable poop)

Back
Top Bottom