chicken limping for 2 days - please help!

AvocadoAbi

Songster
Jul 3, 2021
Hello,
I need some advice on how to deal with my bantam Rhode Island Red.
She's not at all heavy, smallest hen in our flock, but has been limping around for two days.
I checked for bumblefoot, no signs of that. Her roost is probably less than 1 foot of a jump. Not sure if that is considered "too high."
I felt her leg but it doesn't seem to be broken. She doesn't show any signs of being in pain, but she just refuses to put weight on it and only sits on a roost or in a nesting box all day, except when eating or drinking.
Would appreciate advice, thank you!

When you pick her up and place her outside, will she stand or walk, and does she hold the affected leg up or try to put weight on it? Are the toes curled under? How old is she? If a video can be uploaded to YouTube or similar, or a picture might be helpful. B complex vitamins for humans can be found in most stores, and dosage is 1/4 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or put in food daily might be helpful. Make sure that she is eating and drinking, since she cannot get to them.

When you pick her up and place her outside, will she stand or walk, and does she hold the affected leg up or try to put weight on it? Are the toes curled under? How old is she? If a video can be uploaded to YouTube or similar, or a picture might be helpful. B complex vitamins for humans can be found in most stores, and dosage is 1/4 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or put in food daily might be helpful.
(Unless she needs to eat or drink water) she won't try to walk and keeps her injured leg close to her body. She doesn't curl her toes.
She is 3 years old this month.
I will try the b complex vitamins.

You may want to make a chicken sling, and place food and water right in front of her to keep her alive while she is trying to recover. It sounds possibly like an injury. Mareks disease could be a possibility if you have added any new flock additions over the last few months. Here is a good link for chicken sling designs in posts 5, 11-13:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom