Chicken losing neck feathers.

Tylexie

Chirping
Dec 11, 2015
New York
I just noticed that my columbian rock cross is losingfeathers around her neck. It's been getting extremely cold, hitting the negatives several times in the past week, and I'm worried about her getting cold. I also don't know why she's losing feathers; all the others seem fine, and it can't be a molt, since it's the middle of winter, right?

Will she be okay? Will she get too cold?

IMG_4407.jpg
IMG_4413.jpg
IMG_4419.jpg
IMG_4432.jpg

They look like new pin feathers coming in on her neck. She is likely molting. kind of late for that, but that is what it looks like to me. Just make sure she has a place to get out of the terrible cold. Hopefully she'll do a slow molt and not lose so much at once and grow in feathers as she is losing them. She is otherwise acting fine? Best with your girl. she is pretty.

The same thing is happening to my barred Plymouth rock hen now and it has been below freezing every day for the last week. My australorp also molted around her neck about a month ago. Both hatched in February of 2017 so they are not even due for a molt. They stopped laying but seem fine otherwise.

That is Molting and it happens extreme to Birds that are not kept under light and heat..Birds with light and heat don't suffer hard molts..
I don't use light or heat and none of my birds have yet suffered a hard molt. I feel as though that is also partly related to individual genetics, as I see both take place in flocks that have the same management and even the same breeds. :)

Agreed it's molting. Birds don't seem to get the message as to when they should or shouldn't molt. If it were parasites there wouldn't already be the pin feathers.

I've got a few that are molting now too. Same thing, pin feathers on the neck. They're Black Australorps and Golden Comets (sex linked RIRxDelaware) that are less than 10 months old.

It's been sub zero at night lately so this seems less than great timing for this, and I didn't expect it their first year either. But so far they seem OK.

I just noticed that my columbian rock cross is losingfeathers around her neck. It's been getting extremely cold, hitting the negatives several times in the past week, and I'm worried about her getting cold. I also don't know why she's losing feathers; all the others seem fine, and it can't be a molt, since it's the middle of winter, right?

Will she be okay? Will she get too cold?

View attachment 1226370 View attachment 1226374 View attachment 1226377 View attachment 1226381
How old is she?
Do you have a cock/erel?
Yes, birds can molt in winter, I have one blowing feathers now.

Back
Top Bottom