Chicken losing weight, won't walk, keeps her eyes closed.

fiddlinghen

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Hello!
I am really concerned for my Australorp hen: she started acting a bit unusual, and I chalked it up to the coop being scared by a raccoon one night. But the day afterwards, she stopped eating, moving around (she had all her feathers ruffled up, and sat in the corner with her head drooping down--Not good), and I found out she wasn't drinking so I hand-watered her, but she won't let me hand feed her. Also, she is keeping her eyes closed as if she is sleeping. She has lost weight. This morning she wouldn't stand at all. All of this happened over a period of 2-3 days. I am worried that this is a contagious disease, and I don't know what it is. I don't know if she had diarrea or not. There are no visible wounds/bites/scratches. Only a patch where some feathers got pulled out. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. I think I may have to put her down, as she is so weak, and I don't want her to suffer. Thank you all!

Oh, she is nearly 2 years old. I don't know if that helps or not.
hu.gif

bring her inside keep her warm . are you sure its not coccidosis? take a look at the symptoms and remember with cocci bloody stool doesn't have to be present yet. the good news is if its cocci it can be cured with CORID. it kills all 9 strains of the cocci while other meds only kill some strains. you mix it in the water and you might have to help her get her doses if she's not drinking with a dropper carefully. if your certain its NOT shock then it surely sounds like coccidosis. treat her as soon as possible! I've personally seen corid save many lives. time is of essence so treat soon. i do hope she gets well. if she's not in shock from the attack then it could be cocci. if she IS in shock bring her inside keep her WARM. those are the two things that come to mind with those symptoms. i wish you the best and good luck! I'd surely do treatment before I'd cull her! if its cocci she can be made better and no reason to cull! hope this is helpful!

Thank you! I had considered Coccidosis, (we had it come through a few years ago. It was horrible.) but the lack of bloody stool had thrown me for a loop. I will see what I can do. I have her inside right now (she is sitting on my lap, actually.) and she is warm. I have been watering her, so she is some what hydrated, but not as much as I would like. I just hope she gets better soon!

Since she is almost 2 years old, she shouldve built up resistance to cocci already. I suspect she may need to be wormed. Also, inspect her for lice/mites especially around the vent area.

Thank you! I had considered Coccidosis, (we had it come through a few years ago. It was horrible.) but the lack of bloody stool had thrown me for a loop. I will see what I can do. I have her inside right now (she is sitting on my lap, actually.) and she is warm. I have been watering her, so she is some what hydrated, but not as much as I would like. I just hope she gets better soon!
I have seen more coccidiosis poop without blood than I have seen with blood.

bring her inside keep her warm . are you sure its not coccidosis? take a look at the symptoms and remember with cocci bloody stool doesn't have to be present yet. the good news is if its cocci it can be cured with CORID. it kills all 9 strains of the cocci while other meds only kill some strains. you mix it in the water and you might have to help her get her doses if she's not drinking with a dropper carefully. if your certain its NOT shock then it surely sounds like coccidosis. treat her as soon as possible! I've personally seen corid save many lives. time is of essence so treat soon. i do hope she gets well. if she's not in shock from the attack then it could be cocci. if she IS in shock bring her inside keep her WARM. those are the two things that come to mind with those symptoms. i wish you the best and good luck! I'd surely do treatment before I'd cull her! if its cocci she can be made better and no reason to cull! hope this is helpful!
X2!

After re-checking her, and asking sibling who was the rescue-er during the raccoon raid, I found out she was one that had been dragged into the woods, but escaped. I looked and found bruising on her abdomen, and the new theory is that she might have internal injuries. We are giving her some time to recuperate and observe her.

Back
Top Bottom