Chicken Math 12 = 48 and more in the bator

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dipence71, Jul 16, 2010.

1. dipence71

dipence71 Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Well last March2009 I got 12 Bo chicks(layers), then in the summer 2009 I acquired a roo for my ladies. So I had 13.
    Well then I hatched out 3 BO chicks and thought they were to lonely so picked up another 6 BO chicks at the farm store (meat birds) 2010 (little over 9wks) Total = 22
    Then I got addicted to the crazy egg chain and hatched out 2 sizzle cochins and 6 EE but one was born spay legged and couldnt walk so down to 5 EE. Total = 29
    Those are still in the brooder little over 2 weeks old
    Then while at the feed mill picking up feed yesterday, the kid in their ask if I wanted to buy his flock of 18-20. i of course ask what he wanted for them
    and he said $30 and you get everything, chix wire, feeder(homemade bucket style) small waterer, mason jar feeder, heat bulb, feed, and a rabbit cage
    and feeder( he used as a brooder), and metal posts. WELL that is just tooo good to pass up. So went to look tonight and the chix wire was probably
    worth more than $30, NEEDLESS to say I came home with 19 new chickens and said supplies. They are a mixed flock not sure what they all are yet but
    2 BO, 1RIR?, 4 bantams ?breed, 2 white, 1 blackish that looks like it has greenish tint on the feathers real pretty, 1 roo, and 8 others I don't remember
    right off hand. I will be taking picts and comparing them to see what breed they are. mixed ages Total = 48
    and I have a bunch of EE and silkies in the bator!!! Day 21 will be Sunday [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    OMG!!! WOW!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

WHAT was I thinking LOL.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    That is just the new chicken math that most of us have learned. Original plan 3 hens, current flock 38.

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    [​IMG]

I got my very first chickens March 2009. I'd been wanting my own chickens ever since helping Grandma and Grandpa collect eggs when I'd go visit, at two to six years old. A friend of mine with chickens directed me to McMurray hatchery, and I had the funnest (and hardest) time picking out which breeds to get. At first I was rather disappointed at the "minimum order of 25" policy, but later wished it was more. [​IMG] ANYWAY, I got my 25 pullets. A couple weeks later my same friend says she's down-sizing her flock, would I like a few? I wanted eggs so bad, and so I brought home 12 hens and a rooster. Then a couple months later my neighbors said that they'd ordered more birds than they'd wanted, because they thought they'd lose a few, but then they never did. Would I like 10 three-month-old pullets for free? [​IMG] If I don't take them, they'll just butcher them for meat.

Then this year the demand for my eggs exploded when a friend of mine with an excellent location said he'd be willing to sell my eggs for me. So I purchased another 25 hens. [​IMG] And then I hatched a bunch of chicks and keets this year to sell, but a few didn't sell. So now I have about 24 pullets that'll start laying soon. My total chicken count currently? Equals 62 hens, 3 roosters, about 24 pullets and 9 cockerels, which is a total of 99 chickens. And I just got my first chickens last year!!! My family thinks I'm nuts, as I plan to order/hatch another 50+ pullets next year. [​IMG] I've got the chicken bug SO bad...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by