Chicken Math

How many chicks did you start with?

• Total voters
Got 7 chicks at local feed store. Went back a week later and got 6 more. Went back that afternoon and got 3 more... Started with 16 chicks. Thanked the chicken gods we were moving out of the city, how can you have just 3??

We currently have 42 chickens (eleven 1-years, one 8-months, and thirty 3-months). With 37 more to arrive in two weeks!

I started with 5.
My highest number was 24
I currently have 16

BUUUUUT most of those don't count according to the rules of chicken math. Because one is a rooster and some are juveniles and 4 are cockerels who won't get to stay... and some are double ups of the same breed.... and and and.

My final number for the end of this round of chick raising will be 11. Or 12. If I keep one of the cockerels. Who won't count because roosters don't count...

How do you even keep track of 142 birds? I feel like a few may disappear in the daily processes and go completely unnoticed. I'm already having trouble keeping track of my flocks of 5 and 13 and those are confined to secured coops and runs.
It wasn't too bad except for me being a tad on the OCD side (okay a lot) so I tried to count them most every day. Counting by breed and size (Bantam or Large) helped in that.

How many chickens did you start out with? (Answer in poll)

How many was the highest you had (if you know), and how many do you have currently (if you know)? Leave a comment to show how your flock has grown!

On this property I started with 8, lost one on day 4, sold 2, then started to expand the next year.

Highest has been ~ 50?

Current ~35 -- with some up for sale, some destined for the freezer, and just put 22 eggs in the incubator (not expecting more than about 60% to hatch).

How many chickens did you start out with? (Answer in poll)

How many was the highest you had (if you know), and how many do you have currently (if you know)? Leave a comment to show how your flock has grown!
I bought 6 ISA brown chicks. My dog killed them.
Bought 6 more chicks, a mixed batch. One went splat from my hand, then seemed fine, only to do the backstroke in the water dish.
So, 5 it is, and I am eyeing all the other pretty chickens I don't have already.

Back
Top Bottom