Chicken Medical Costs

10keyes12

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2022
So my chicken, Albina, has been sick for about 2 days now. She has blood on her eye which is preventing her from opening it. Because of this she is really inconvenienced in her daily life. On top of that she is a very docile bird and doesn't even peck at the other chickens. I want to take her to the vet but I don't know how much it costs. Any factors to it?

A vet visit will likely cost $100 to walk through the door. More if they run tests. It also depends on where you live how much a vet will charge to see a chicken. Large cities where it's popular to keep backyard chickens, it can be very pricey, while rural vets may either just charge $25 for a quick look but won't really know much about chickens or will refuse to see them all together.

A vet visit will likely cost $100 to walk through the door. More if they run tests. It also depends on where you live how much a vet will charge to see a chicken. Large cities where it's popular to keep backyard chickens, it can be very pricey, while rural vets may either just charge $25 for a quick look but won't really know much about chickens or will refuse to see them

Thank you for replying. I live in a suburban area where chickens aren't necessarily popular but it's not like you never see chicken owners.

A vet visit will likely cost $100 to walk through the door. More if they run tests. It also depends on where you live how much a vet will charge to see a chicken. Large cities where it's popular to keep backyard chickens, it can be very pricey, while rural vets may either just charge $25 for a quick look but won't really know much about chickens or will refuse to see them all together.
I agree here ..sometimes vet visits help alot also test too
If u can I highly suggested this :hugs

I don't take my chickens to the vet. I provide them with care at home (corid, antibiotics, protection from bullying, hydration, first aid, parasite treatment etc), and if that is not enough then my husband will humanely kill them to end their suffering. Everyone is entitled to spend their money however they wish of course. A vet visit will cost you at least $100 and probably quite a bit more.

So my chicken, Albina, has been sick for about 2 days now. She has blood on her eye which is preventing her from opening it. Because of this she is really inconvenienced in her daily life. On top of that she is a very docile bird and doesn't even peck at the other chickens. I want to take her to the vet but I don't know how much it costs. Any factors to it?
Since Albina is very docile and doesnt peck other chickens, I suspect that Albina is the lowest ranked chicken in the pecking order and got pecked in the eye by a higher ranked chicken.
Flush Albina's eye with saline solution, then apply Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin ointment in her eye, just a little dab will do. Continue to apply the ointment until healed.
If you have one feeder for your chickens, I recommend providing another feeder. That way Albina can eat in peace away from the "pickers."

Since Albina is very docile and doesnt peck other chickens, I suspect that Albina is the lowest ranked chicken in the pecking order and got pecked in the eye by a higher ranked chicken.
Flush Albina's eye with saline solution, then apply Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin ointment in her eye, just a little dab will do. Continue to apply the ointment until healed.
If you have one feeder for your chickens, I recommend providing another feeder. That way Albina can eat in peace away from the "pickers."
Do I put the saline solution directly on her eye or eyelids and do I put the eye ointments on her eye or eyelid?

Back
Top Bottom