Chicken Morning - Pictorial

kateseidel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
Morning with the henleys - and what the coop looks like after the new has worn off

7:30 a.m. - fed the horses, down to the hens
46815_01.jpg

The girls are always happy to see me. The coop is open to the run. They have a covered sandbox in the run, and a raised waterer.
We left the run on the natural slope, so no draining issues, and because we sit on solid granite, we don't seem to have an issue with
anything digging under the coop - only about 2" of soil, then solid rock.
46815_02.jpg

Happier once I open the door and they are off
46815_03.jpg

The morning run to take care of hen business
46815_04.jpg

The main roosting area and a night's droppings accumulation
46815_05.jpg

This was their original favorite roost, and I still have four that spend the night here. That's a nipple waterer hanging on the right.
This winter, I'll be replacing it with a heated galvanized steel waterer to keep a fresh and unfrozen supply in the coop, but I have
to run LOOOOOONG extension cords - no power in the coop
46815_06.jpg

Mostly they ignore the big roost I built them, and only use it to launch to the higher roosts. Under the roost is their feeder,
and to the right is a metal storage can for their feed, and the container for the Stall Dry and DE mix I use in the coop
46815_07.jpg

The cleaning routine is pretty fast - probably not more than 5-6 minutes to scrape the droppings boards and dispose -
I spend a lot of time with the hens in the coop, so I clean it every day. You can see their viewing windows, a lower roost
in case they want to look out, and a bin of grit which I don't need anymore but can't throw away!
46815_08.jpg

I sprinkle the boards with a mix of Stall Dry and DE for bug and smell control
46815_09.jpg

The nest boxes, which the hens ignore. On top is the push on light I use to check head count at night if they go to bed
before me, and the container I collect droppings in.
46815_10.jpg

The nest they built themselves UNDER the nest boxes
46815_11.jpg

Back up to the house, but one last look
46815_12.jpg

Love the pics. Just getiing started here, so I love looking at pictures. Waiting for the babies to grow and become hens is worse than a child waiting on Christmas morning.

What a beautiful flock of hens!
love.gif
They are truly adorable. You seem to really love your hens and caring for them seems like an enjoyable passion. Its amazing how something as simple as a chicken can occupy our hearts, our time and our souls.
D.gif
Just knowing they are happy and healthy makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I love your little farm. Someday, I hope to get out of the suburbs and have my own little farm.
ya.gif

When the market changes in about a hundred years I will have enough equity to get out of this house!
roll.png
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom