Chicken "mutt" club!!!

Pics
I'd love to see some pics as those grow up!! I'm picturing striped fluffy bowling-ball shaped chickens
big_smile.png
We will post some soon I have to figure how to do it from my phone lol.

shellz-That is a blessing! 6 yrs is a great age, in my opinion.
smile.png
He sounds like a good mix, good energy for a country life. And he's such a cute dog. Thanks for sharing his pic with us.

Last edited:
Your white chicken that crowed looks like my 2nd rooster... Yes sadly I have 2 not one roosters an I'm finding blood cause they r fighting... They will be gone by next week... But my 2nd rooster looks just like your white one but black-

He looks like a rooster a little more now that pic was a while back

Your white chicken that crowed looks like my 2nd rooster... Yes sadly I have 2 not one roosters an I'm finding blood cause they r fighting... They will be gone by next week... But my 2nd rooster looks just like your white one but black-

He looks like a rooster a little more now that pic was a while back
Yeah, my broody hen from last year had 2 boys that fought later. Did them in a few months ago. Blood splatter all over the inside of the coop. Was just their combs and wattles, but still! I like the flat combs. Makes them handle extreme cold much better!
Ok, here's the pics I promised! Not very good, but will get better ones later!

Top one is the Cuckoo Marans X Silver Gray Dorking & bottom is my most beautiful pure Cuckoo Marans!

Yeah, my broody hen from last year had 2 boys that fought later. Did them in a few months ago. Blood splatter all over the inside of the coop. Was just their combs and wattles, but still! I like the flat combs. Makes them handle extreme cold much better! Ok, here's the pics I promised! Not very good, but will get better ones later! Top one is the Cuckoo Marans X Silver Gray Dorking & bottom is my most beautiful pure Cuckoo Marans!
Awesome new chicks!! Go mutts!!!

Some of my mutts aren't mutts yet, but more than half of my chickens are mutts...so here are some assorted photos. Heck, some of what I think might be purebreds also might not be...

Here we go.

I love mutts! I'm back with chickens again so I've got all "purebreds" to start with now. Bet I'll get some crazy mixes next year. I'd love to see a Naked neck/Cochin! Used to have a lot of mutts.
These are some small barnyard mixes that I bought as chicks with their mom back in November. Obviously the larger white one is a cockerel...

Here he is again, with my Silkie roo, and what I think is a leghorn mix, might be a leghorn, I'm not sure.

Here are the Silkie, the mixed cockerel, and 2 of the mixed pullets from same brood.

Here is 2 more of the same, with their mom in the back, she is the wheaten colored hen behind them. Also pictured what I believe to be a buff Orpington

I think my rooster might be a White Rock, not sure...he is a really big guy though. Along with the mama and 2 pullets.

Here is one of the barred pullets

Here they all are a few weeks ago. They are very different now as you see..this is when she was still "brooding" them..fully feathered and all, but still peeping.

Anyway those are my mixes so far. I plan on making a tailor made super chicken that suits my needs, so in the end they will all be mixed. I like the variety as well. I don't want chicks that all look the same...so boring. Millions of chances when you hatch mutts from long lines of mutts. All colorings and combinations are possible. I guess they are with heritage breeds, but it takes a lot longer to get all the different colors. Anyway my chickens are for eggs, meat and fun...so they don't have to be pure or fit any standards. I would like to one day have a few pens of certain breeds so I can just mix a few colors...but keep the original line, but right now I am more into seeing just how varied a mutt flock can be. I will be adding a lot of hatchery chicks here soon, and they will provide me with some more interesting mixes. Because the mixes I have right now are already a streamlined mix... the mama hen is a good broody, and lays pretty well as well, but I like larger eggs...that is where the Buff Orpington, and the Leghorn mix(?) come in. She lays medium sized eggs 2 on 1 off...so she lays for 2 days consecutively and then she skips a day.

I screwed that one up and posted it in the middle of yours Missnu01! I know what you mean by wanting odd looking ones. I had a teenage friend of my Granddaughter's over and she looked horrified when she saw one of my Naked Necks (Turkens). She actually yelled out' "OMG! Is that some kind of baby ostrich or something?!?" Later, she said they looked like turkey buzzards. I wanted to slap her for making fun of my babies! Just kidding. I've got a Bar Cochin, 2 Buffs, a Buff Orpington, 3 Sicilian Buttercups and 3 Turkens. They are between 3 1/2 wks and some a little over 4. They currently live in my house and are so fun! Love your mutts!

Back
Top Bottom