Chicken Names!

My Pretty Pekins

Songster
Apr 25, 2019
Somewhere in the English Countryside
My Coop
My Coop
So I have this major curiosity about other peoples' chickens.
Post your favourite chicken's names and list their breeds... maybe tell us why they have that name? I'll start:
Rusty - Our loving Pekin Bantam Millefleur cock. He got his name because of his gorgeous gingery colour.
Tansy - She's the alpha hen (Rusty's too young to assert himself at the moment, he only started crowing about three days ago) and quite literally the personality of the flock. I could go on about her for years, but I'll content myself with a few sentences! So, she's a Copper Black (I think) with so many hilarious, endearing or just plain ridiculous habits. One, she pecks at worms, runs around the coop with them so the others don't get it, but she never eats them. Two, if ever I go into the run she charges towards me like a mad bull, trying to get through the door into the garden before I close it :D and three, she loves a good cuddle - she'll follow me around like a puppy. Last thing (soo cute) she recently discovered we keep a haybale in the shed, we use it to fill their nestboxes... she decided to lay in it and is now convinced it's there for her, we get squawked at if we're late to let her in.... but, much to her disgust, we're trying to break her of the habit. Her name came from a book of mine that I was obsessed with when we got her.
Pearl - A meek and mild little girl. She's a Light Sussex who got her name due to her beautiful, thick white feathers. She's just started laying.
Romy - Pearl's sister hen, who we believe has started but we're not entirely sure. She's quite skittish but once you have her she will happily rest on your lap until she sees Pearl - then she's off because the two are inseparable. She was named by my sister after a friend

We have 9 chickens in all but I would go on forever if I told about them all! What are your chicken's names?

We have 2 pullets named after collar and temprament. Ginny nice orangy collar and sweet and fierce. Solla i think of sunrays when i see her and she is clumpsy.

Attachments

• 20200106_162501(0).jpg
    20200106_162501(0).jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191216_101451.jpg
    20191216_101451.jpg
    935.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191216_100311.jpg
    20191216_100311.jpg
    761.7 KB · Views: 9
I have a sassy white Silkie called Chicki Minaj, a black Japanese Bantam with a chicken nugget coloured neck, so I called her Burnt Chicken Nugget (Nugget for short). Those chickens are both mine. My sisters (both Japanese Bantams) are both black (Millie) and white (Winona)
Aww sweet.... I love Silkies!

1 australorp rooster named coop
2 australorp hens named penny and nickel
1 gold comet named goldy locks because her rear feathers are like what a blond laced wyandotte would be.
1 gold comet named snow white because a visible patch of white feathers only on right wing.
1 gold wyandotte named wynnie
20191228_144842.jpg
20191228_145123.jpg
20191228_143249.jpg

2 gold comets yet to be named
2 RIR un named because I cant tell the difference

I have too many to tell -- all of my birds have names because of the longstanding rule that one does not eat one's critters once they are named. However ... I'll tell anyway.

Honey, the last of my original hens, is a Buff Orpington whose lovely coloring made me rename her when I rehomed her from a 4-H'er; Buffy did not seem sophisticated enough for her. Only Marietta, the Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte, has kept the name she had when I acquired her.

Sir Henry the Loud, the regal and only rooster, is a beautiful Iowa Blue who likes to begin crowing at about 4 a.m. in the winter, earlier in the warmer months. His only surviving daughters were named -- Pip (because she had a bit of an issue getting out of the shell) and Squeak (because someone other than me thought that would be a funny pairing).

Often, the girls have named based on their country of origin, sometimes influenced by movies, books or friends I like. Bronwyn, for example, is a Speckled Sussex, so she needed a British name -- which is also the name of a famous cake baker AND a little girl in a movie.

Brave queen Eleanor of Aquitaine was the inspiration for my Midnight Majesty Maran; Camille and Celeste are the Faverolles; Vanna and Petra are Sapphire Gems. Lottie, in addition to being a nice Dutch name for my Welsumer, was also named for Del Lott, a good friend who passed away in 2019.

The Buckeyes are Althea (a name I've liked since a long-ago soap opera), Beatrix (full name of "Trixie" name on "Call the Midwife:) and Cordelia (wish I could say that was from classical literature, but no, another TV show).

Dottie, my failure-to-launch house chicken (yes, I will try AGAIN to move her outdoors in the spring when it's warm and she learns to not fear other chickens), is both named because she is a bit crazy and because I like the Australian TV show, "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries," in which Dottie is Miss Fisher's assistant.

Evie and Audrey, the flamboyant Easter Eggers, have their names taken from the stage name of a flamboyant drag queen.

Gabby, the red frizzle Cochin Bantam, loves to vocalize and offer her opinion on everything. Her coop mate, a barred Cochin Bantam, is the only one I can't rationalize at all. I just liked the name Sally.

Back
Top Bottom