Chicken Names!

My Pretty Pekins

Songster
Apr 25, 2019
Somewhere in the English Countryside
My Coop
My Coop
So I have this major curiosity about other peoples' chickens.
Post your favourite chicken's names and list their breeds... maybe tell us why they have that name? I'll start:
Rusty - Our loving Pekin Bantam Millefleur cock. He got his name because of his gorgeous gingery colour.
Tansy - She's the alpha hen (Rusty's too young to assert himself at the moment, he only started crowing about three days ago) and quite literally the personality of the flock. I could go on about her for years, but I'll content myself with a few sentences! So, she's a Copper Black (I think) with so many hilarious, endearing or just plain ridiculous habits. One, she pecks at worms, runs around the coop with them so the others don't get it, but she never eats them. Two, if ever I go into the run she charges towards me like a mad bull, trying to get through the door into the garden before I close it :D and three, she loves a good cuddle - she'll follow me around like a puppy. Last thing (soo cute) she recently discovered we keep a haybale in the shed, we use it to fill their nestboxes... she decided to lay in it and is now convinced it's there for her, we get squawked at if we're late to let her in.... but, much to her disgust, we're trying to break her of the habit. Her name came from a book of mine that I was obsessed with when we got her.
Pearl - A meek and mild little girl. She's a Light Sussex who got her name due to her beautiful, thick white feathers. She's just started laying.
Romy - Pearl's sister hen, who we believe has started but we're not entirely sure. She's quite skittish but once you have her she will happily rest on your lap until she sees Pearl - then she's off because the two are inseparable. She was named by my sister after a friend

We have 9 chickens in all but I would go on forever if I told about them all! What are your chicken's names?

Here’s a few of my chickens that allowed me to take their picture:D
BC19D63B-648A-4D31-B9F8-44CA9294001C.jpeg

Blackberry
E171228B-D94C-46C1-B465-293CB89739FC.jpeg

Twinkle
B97135F2-21A3-46DE-835D-0377EA150903.jpeg

Ollie(The rooster), Luna(The Cukoo Maran in front), Oliver(The barred cockrel), Rosie(The Bielefelder hen), and Peanut(the silkie)
43EF3A26-D254-4013-9534-540A6F7BC61E.jpeg

Rose
I have others as well, but no more pictures:D

Since you asked, My Pretty Pekins, Dottie was given to me in the fall by the feed store I frequent because she was the only layer chick left in a pen of bigger, bullying broilers. I decided to brood the unidentified breed chick in the house, as usual, then move her outside.

But, I had never had a single chick before, and she seriously imprinted on me. While she is fearless in running off house cats and dogs, stands her ground with ducks and geese during her "field trips" outdoors, she is terrified of other chickens.

I tried putting her in a coop with a hen that needed a friend. Pip was caged in a critter crate inside the coop and Dottie was allowed full run of the A-frame. In the morning, Pip had a bloody face and Dottie couldn't wait to hop onto my lap.

It got too cold to put her out by herself, so she roosts on the back of a rocking chair at night and gets locked into a large dog crate when no one is home. However, in the spring, she HAS to go outside. HAS to.

I'm going through tons of paper products, cleaning up her messes, and I have to lock her up when I want to eat because she will steal anything off my plate or out of my mouth. On the other hand, she makes the sweetest little noises just before she falls asleep on top of me when I'm napping. I have a created a (cute) monster.

1 australorp rooster named coop
2 australorp hens named penny and nickel
1 gold comet named goldy locks because her rear feathers are like what a blond laced wyandotte would be.
1 gold comet named snow white because a visible patch of white feathers only on right wing.
1 gold wyandotte named wynnie
20191228_144842.jpg
20191228_145123.jpg
20191228_143249.jpg

2 gold comets yet to be named
2 RIR un named because I cant tell the difference

It's to dark to post pictures right now and I'm on a laptop so I can't share any pics. Also I have over 24 chickens so I'l just post my favorites.

1. Rooster- Named Cookie. He's my favorite chicken, sweetest boy ever. He is a gentleman to his ladies and to the human, he'll run up to you, wait to be held and let you cuddle with him, he never squirms around. He use to look brown with white spots on his breast but now he is multicolored so his name kind of lost property.

2. Winnie- She has always been one of my favorites, she is white with checkered brown spots. She doesn't like being held very often but she loves climbing onto laps and eating from your hands.

3. Justice- She is a pure buff silkie. She is a very sweet and curious girl, always making us laugh.

4. Sugar - Sugar is a pure white silkie. She is sweet and lovable, but not the brightest. She has such a cute and funny personality.

5. Paige- She is a really funny girl. She is an RIR x Bantam. She is always making this weird cluck noise and walks in the funniest way, she isn't the brightest either and she is very curious.

Back
Top Bottom