Chicken neck attack!! Help!

I would call the vet again, and ask if they could stitch her up without anesthesia. It would be good to know if the esophagus or crop are open or just exposed, but intact. Putting one to sleep is dangerous, and crop surgery can be seen online without using anesthesia. Rinse her wounds with plain saline, and Vetericyn wound spray or plain Triple Antibiotic ointment is good to use. We are all pulling for her.

Since she is eating and drinking well, chances of recovery are much higher than most... @WalnutHill had a turkey that a raccoon opened up straight down the throat to crop and upper breast, she healed up just fine...

I would stop the peroxide (overuse of it will kill healthy tissue as well as unhealthy), get betadine or iodine diluted down... flush well and stitch that skin flap closed... at this point, I think it is about her only chance... leaving it open may cause further damage if soft internal organs are indeed exposed... if vet is too costly an option, time to roll up your sleeves and just do the best you can for her... :fl for her and you...

I would clip all feathers that could get in the wound and then though only spray the wound with vetricin. We pulled a hen back from a maggot infestation after a dog attack and she had a chunk missing out of her side.

Maybe bandage her neck so the skin can reattach? Opinions on bandaging?

Update: went to flush her wound & check on her. Mood seems pretty good, she was alert, walking around, clucking, etc. I even saw her eat and drink with no food or water coming out so her crop is not punctured which is great. Her stools look normal but only slightly smaller than normal which is to be expected.

Bad news: After closer inspection, her crop is INDEED exposed and to be honest, I *think* part of her esophagus may be too. :( The wound looks a bit more extensive than I thought from yesterday. I was looking at the flaps of skin to see if it was possible to stitch her up & whatever attacked her, got a big piece which is what's missing so I'm not too sure how to close her up?? I have never stitched up anything and am a terrible seamstress. I called our closest farm vet and he said she would need anesthesia to be stitched up and starting costs are $100+ for the anesthesia, stitches, etc.. :(

I'm kinda at a loss as of what to do. She appears to be in good spirits but I honestly think she definitely needs to be closed up with her crop and possible esophagus exposure.

I was looking at other exposed crop threads and someone mentioned that the crop can actually dry out and start to decay if left open?? Again, I'm not an expert here so I honestly don't know. :( Her crop sack already has a slight leathery look to some parts of it that are dry.

I'm worried if she doesn't get stitches she will be risking a huge infection and her crop and/or esophagus will decay but I'm also worried about the stress of putting her through the surgery and antibiotic injections and the IF she survives. Also the cost doesn't sound too cheap. :( Then there's the possibility of pneumonia from being out in the rain all night. I feel awful because she seems so normal but I'm thinking it may be best to put her down. :(

Any input?? Anyone??
try keeping the crop and esophagus bandaged with gauze soaked in nornal saline (you can get it at the drug store), only the gauze in the area touching the crop and esophagus should be wet, remainder of dressing should be dry. Called a wet to dry dressing in the medical world. Change this regularly like every 4 to 6 hours. You do not want the inside dressing to dry out, ever. Good luck, hope I am not too late as I just noticed this thread.

If here crop esophagus and trachea don't have holes, and you keep it clean, I think she will heal. Now would be a really good time to get a baseline weight on her, then weigh every 1-2 days.
Excellant way of seeing how she is progressing. Caspotpony, are you a medical person? Just curious, cause you sound like one.

Excellant way of seeing how she is progressing. Caspotpony, are you a medical person? Just curious, cause you sound like one.
Not a medical person, but I do enjoy reading veterinary textbooks, lol. Weighing daily lets you know the moment they are headed the wrong direction. Poop inspection is also important. :D

Not a medical person, but I do enjoy reading veterinary textbooks, lol. Weighing daily lets you know the moment they are headed the wrong direction. Poop inspection is also important. :D

Between the research you do and your common sense, I trust your opinion more than most vets... j/s... :D

Back
Top Bottom