Chicken neck attack!! Help!

Does plucking cause her pain? :( Sorry for asking. I did cut the ones around her wound really short, about an inch or two. Should I still pluck?
It might hurt a little, but it's what the various books say to do, and it's also what Dr. K did when she sutured a nasty wound on a goose or swan (I can't remember which).

My CVS has a very small section of sewing supplies, needles, etc. Most people don't see it unless you are looking for it, but since i sew, i know it's there lol. Hope yours does too. They may not have upholstery thread, but may have some nylon thread.

Good luck! I'm on pins and needles, so to speak. :fl

Do I stitch her up completely since there are exposed organs or should I leave a small opening at the bottom for drainage?

Super glue or thread stitches?
Most times when suturing a "dirty wound" a drain is left in place for a couple of days so the wound will heal inside out. Normally, it is a a sterile piece of latex, first aid gauze such as a strip of kling or kerlix, or a wick of sorts. If you have a large animal vet nearby who might be helpful with supplies, that might help. You could just say that you want to do it mostly yourself, but any help would be appreciated. Button thread (white) at sewing stores might be good to use for suturing since fishing line has dyes and may be too stiff. This is only a suggestion, since I would try to involve a vet. Stitches can get really infected with home treatment, which has been posted about in past threads involving crop surgery.

Last edited:
Most times when suturing a "dirty wound" a drain is left in place for a couple of days so the wound will heal inside out. Normally, it is a a sterile piece of latex, first aid gauze such as a strip of kling or kerlix, or a wick of sorts. If you have a large animal vet nearby who might be helpful with supplies, that might help. You could just say that you want to do it mostly yourself, but any help would be appreciated. Button thread (white) at sewing stores might be good to use for suturing since fishing line has dyes and may be too stiff. This is only a sugfestion, since I would try to involve a vet. Stitches can get really infected with home treatment, which has been posted about in past threads involving crop surgery.
I would not use fishing line. Just my opinion. Hope you and your hen are doing okay so far. Keep us posted. also outside stitches will be easier to keep clean. Small penrose drain (plastic) at the bottom of the incision can't hurt.

It might hurt a little, but it's what the various books say to do, and it's also what Dr. K did when she sutured a nasty wound on a goose or swan (I can't remember which).

X2

And they compartmentalize pain much better than we do... in the end, it causes less pain than letting it stay open to drying out, infection, etc... the faster the healing process can be facilitated the better...

I would not use fishing line. Just my opinion. Hope you and your hen are doing okay so far. Keep us posted. also outside stitches will be easier to keep clean. Small penrose drain (plastic) at the bottom of the incision can't hurt.

Making a quick trip to the store for now to gather supplies then prep & surgery. :( Everyone wish us luck! I think we are just sewing the skin flap closed since her crop is exposed. As far as I know, there is no puncture wound to the crop or esophagus. Should I still leave a drainage hole if I'm just sewing the skin flap closed?

Making a quick trip to the store for now to gather supplies then prep & surgery. :( Everyone wish us luck! I think we are just sewing the skin flap closed since her crop is exposed. As far as I know, there is no puncture wound to the crop or esophagus. Should I still leave a drainage hole if I'm just sewing the skin flap closed?

Good luck! :fl

You could always try steri strips. Get them in between feathers on bare skin. I go back and forth on clipping feathers verses plucking. Plucking makes it easier to see but they grow back pretty quick. I wonder if growing feathers takes away from healing? Clipping them, they can be in the way but her body thinks they are still there. :confused:Steri strips might be easier on you then having to try stitching her up.
A drain or wick to help healing from inside out could be helpful. I've never delt with either of those but I know they are used.
You may want an ace bandage or rolled gauze too. Help hold everything up. If she's eating like normal her crop filling could push at the wound from the inside. When chickens have crop problems people use a crop bra to hold it up. That could be helpful here too.
Keep us posted.

You could always try steri strips. Get them in between feathers on bare skin. I go back and forth on clipping feathers verses plucking. Plucking makes it easier to see but they grow back pretty quick. I wonder if growing feathers takes away from healing? Clipping them, they can be in the way but her body thinks they are still there. :confused:Steri strips might be easier on you then having to try stitching her up.
A drain or wick to help healing from inside out could be helpful. I've never delt with either of those but I know they are used.
You may want an ace bandage or rolled gauze too. Help hold everything up. If she's eating like normal her crop filling could push at the wound from the inside. When chickens have crop problems people use a crop bra to hold it up. That could be helpful here too.
Keep us posted.
The drain just keeps fluids from building up on the inside while she heals, if you use steri strips you may not need a drain.

Back
Top Bottom